rutica
Forms Fledgling

Date form was last updated

I have a form where users enter data about their project statuses. I was originally going to create a  field called Date Form Was Last Updated, but then I thought I can just use SharePoint's built in  Modified date to see when the user made changes to the form.

The problem is, I have workflows that run on that list in order to gather data for reports. When the workflow runs, it changes all the Modified dates (and the Modified By fields also).

Is there any way around this problem, or do I need to create a new field called Date Form Was Last Updated and ask the user to enter a date each time they make updates?

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies
SimonMuntz
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Date form was last updated

"Is there any way around this problem, or do I need to create a new field called Date Form Was Last Updated and ask the user to enter a date each time they make updates?"

Close.
Create the column but have the form update the column with the current date everytime it is submitted.
0 Kudos
rutica
Forms Fledgling

Thanks Simon.

I created a new date/time field in my list called DateLastUpdated

You wrote: "have the form update the column with the current date every time it is submitted".

How would I do that? Thru java script on the form? Or with a workflow?  And if I run a different monthly workflow on the entire list (to prepare for my reports), it won't change that new DateLastUpdated field?

Is there also a way to do the same thing for Modified By (for the person who saved the form)?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
SimonMuntz
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hi,

You could update the column in many ways.
A form variable that updates the column or a calculated value control etc.
0 Kudos
rutica
Forms Fledgling

Simon

Thanks for writing. I'm not sure I understand how to do this...can you provide the steps for the easiest way?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
SimonMuntz
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Add a Calculated Value control to the form.
Connect it to your DateLastUpdated column in SharePoint.
Formula is Current Date from the Common tab.
0 Kudos
BigBlockChevy
Forms Fledgling

Create a form variable with a default value of current date and time and another form variable that grabs current user details (use runtime functions/common tab in the formula bar) and connect both to two different columns on SharePoint that will tell you when and who updated the form.
0 Kudos
rutica
Forms Fledgling

Thanks for writing. I am using SharePoint 2013 and Nintex 2013 by the way.

Simon: I added a Calculated Value field to my form. But I can't connect it to my DateLastUpdated column in SharePoint. The Connected To drop down in the Calculated Value field only shows Single Line of Text fields.

BigBlockChevy: I created 2 form variables in my Nintex form: var_CurrentDate (formula: CurrentDate from the Common tab) and var_CurrentUser (formula: CurrentUser from the Common tab).  You said connect both to two different columns on SharePoint.  How do I do that? If I drag a Calculated Value field onto the form, I run into the problem I mentioned to Simon above, where the Connected To only shows single line of text fields.  If I drag the DateLastUpdated field into the form and click Connected To, my variables aren't listed.

I'm so confused! Help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rutica
Forms Fledgling

Thanks for writing. I am using SharePoint 2013 and Nintex 2013 by the way.

Simon: I added a Calculated Value field to my form. But I can't connect it to my DateLastUpdated column in SharePoint. The Connected To drop down in the Calculated Value field only shows Single Line of Text fields.

BigBlockChevy: I created 2 form variables in my Nintex form: var_CurrentDate (formula: CurrentDate from the Common tab) and var_CurrentUser (formula: CurrentUser from the Common tab).  You said connect both to two different columns on SharePoint.  How do I do that? If I drag a Calculated Value field onto the form, I run into the problem I mentioned to Simon above, where the Connected To only shows single line of text fields.  If I drag the DateLastUpdated field into the form and click Connected To, my variables aren't listed.

I'm so confused! Help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BigBlockChevy
Forms Fledgling

that is correct you will not be able to connect either a form variable or a calculated field directly onto a column other that single line of text.

for the current user input just add a people control onto the form and specify the value as current user then connect it to your sharepoint column and use rules to hide the control so it doesnt show on the form

as for the current date column you can have the workflow capture that info after the form is changed and have it inserted into the modified column OR you can use JavaScript to copy the information from the form variable to the date control

let me know if you need help
0 Kudos