Generate Word or PDF document using K2 Appit Smart Form

• 8 September 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Is this even possible?

5 replies

Badge +5
It depends on your goals. If the idea is to create a PDF version of your smart form , then yes, the K2 PDF broker and associated Smartform control enable you to make a PDF snapshot of a Smartform and to do this at any stage of the Smartform cycle
Badge +4

"It depends on your goals. If the idea is to create a PDF version of your smart form , then yes, the K2 PDF broker and associated Smartform control enable you to make a PDF snapshot of a Smartform and to do this at any stage of the Smartform cycle"

The goal is to print a letter in word or PDF format using few fields from the smartform. Any examples ?

Badge +5

So your first decision is whether Word has to be in the picture or not. You have  a few options I have seen people do when it comes to some type of document assembly depending on the need. 

1.  Make the smartform look like the document and use the "out of box" control/PDF broker to convert from a filled in/completed Smartform to a PDF document rendering of that form - this may or may not work depending on the complexity of the document - here is some info - http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2smartforms/UserGuide/4.6.11/default.htm#PDF_Control.html%3FTocPath%3DK2%2520Designer%7CControls%7CSave%2520As%2520PDF%2520control%7C_____0

2.  Capture the data using the smartform and use SSRS to format a report as a document that K2 can access and send out. In this case SSRS is doing the formatting and conversion to PDF

3.  Write your own broker against the OpenXML SDK or use the upcoming REST broker against a service that enables assembly and conversion using a Word template

4.  Use a enterprise class rules driven assembly engine like Hotdocs and use the K2 Hotdocs broker to handle the automated assembly and conversion.  In the case of Hotdocs you start with a Word template. 

5. Havent done this for years - Bind a sharepoint document library to custom content controls on a Word doc template. Use K2 to populate the libray columns for the document item and then process or route the doc with K2. 

There are other options, but these are fairly typical. K2 is exploring other solutions, but we have no timeline for those at this time. 

Badge +4

I will try the first option. Will post my update shortly

It will be a great selling point if Native Print functionality is included in next build. Just my thought.

Appreciate much

Badge

Thank you for the information.  I would like to try your option 5:

- Bind a sharepoint document library to custom content controls on a Word doc template. Use K2 to populate the libray columns for the document item and then process or route the doc with K2. 

Do you have a tutorial for this?