Determining current used Licenses

Badge +1
We hit our license limit of 50 users yesterday, and had a number of failed workflow as a result.

It can't be helped if we hit the limited, but I need to know in advance if we are approaching our limit. Different people join and leave the team over time, so its not a simple as counting people in the team.

How can i deterermine current the current license usage for our current (50) named user license so I can avoid this type of problem next time?

Thanks
Craig

6 replies

Badge +8
Hi Craig,

The following Knowledge Base article should address your questions on Named User Licenses:
http://kb.k2workflow.com/articles/kb000165.aspx
Badge +13
Is there a procedure, or exe that we could run to tell us currently how many licenses are being used? It'd help to resolve the issue before we reach it.
Badge +11
Hi,

Sorry, but no - there's no procedure or exe that would tell you how many licenses are being used. This number is kept in K2Server's memory and there is no way to exactly determine what the number is. We are in the process of developing a utility which will give you an estimate of this number. I'll post an update here when it's done.

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +1
Would you be able to give us an idea of timescales for this utility?

If we unexpectedly hit our user limit, our workflows crash, generally mid-flow. There is no way to restart the workflow, and this turns out to be a large administrative problem for IT and a major inconvenience for the users.

Unfortunately if this happens the users just see this as a K2 crash despite the fact that only a licensing problem. This is a problem in terms of perception, especially given that K2 has been an extremely reliable and stable platform for us up until now. Its very important that we can accurately monitor current license usage so we can avoid this situation going forward.

Many thanks
Craig
Badge +11
It all depends on available time - if time permits, I'm looking at about 2 weeks.

Cheers,
Ockert
Badge +6
There are ways to design processes to accomodate for this...but these are intended to overcome the condition in development, not production.

To see how to develop/test processes using NUL licenses, please refer to KB#163 (http://kb.k2workflow.com/articles/kb000163.aspx). The companion KB is #165 which talks about the 'why' of NUL's.