Custom ID: CM123 - DATE (MMDDYY)

• 15 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I'm trying to generate a custom ID for our Change Management list. I need the number to start from 325 as our old list stops there and automatically create the next. The format will need to be as follows:

CM326-MMDDYY

CM327-MMDDYY

Each new form filled out will need to create a new custom ID to be populated in the "title" column. How can I create this to show in the form/list?

6 replies

Badge +12

@mcamarco ....is your list brand new? If the first item you create in this list has ID = 1 then you can use calculated action in workflow to add 324+{ItemProperty:ID} which will give you 325 and onwards.

Then using build string you can create the custom ID

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
To show in the form:
This Knowledge base article shows you how you can read the previous value in the list and once you have that you can increment it.

Other wise you could have a workflow run after the form is submitted to update the Title by reading the previous vbalue and incrementing it.
This method is better than relying on the item ID because if an item is deleted it could mess up your count.
Badge +3

I do need to be able to show this within the form, as well as populate it on the SharePoint list. If one is deleted, it is okay to continue counting.

EX: 

CM325-MMDDYY

CM326-MMDDYY (deleted)

CM327-MMDDYY 

What is the article you are referencing @SimonMuntz ?

Badge +3

The list is not brand new, but I know what number the ID is up to. What function would I use in the workflow & how would I push it to populate into the form? Set feild in current item with the variable/string?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Sorry I forgot to paste the link
https://community.nintex.com/t5/How-To-s/How-to-get-the-value-from-the-previous-list-item-to-pull-into-my/ta-p/89680
Badge +1
How to do you add the custom "CM" to the prefix? I have a similar requirement to add a custom name to each of the IDs.