Creating item as another person in a workflow?

• 16 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +8

I have a flexitask in a workflow.    After the user answers the task, I want an item to be created in the name of the person that answered the task and not in the name of me, the workflow creator or in the name of the person that started the workflow.  I can get the name of the user answering the task.   That isn't the problem.   What IO need to do is be able to create an item as them.

Is there any way to create the item in the name of someone else in a workflow?   I could use JavaScript on the flexitask form but want to avoid that.

5 replies

Badge +8

HI Bruce,

I doubt there is a simplistic way in Nintex to achieve this as when you create an Item SP by default would populate the "createdBy" field. There is an action set called as "Action" in Nintex and anything run within it can be configured to run as the person who published the workflow rather than the user who is running it, but again it wont serve your purpose.

You can create another column in your list called as "owner" or something and then populate your user in this column and make the business aware that this would be the column who would be "createdby" and your regular createdby field can be populated as the system account (or the account that published the workflow)

Regards,

Shrini

Badge +8

Thanks yes I realize I can create my own "create by" field but I need to deal with legacy items so  that solution won't work for me.    Or at least not easily.    I guess I will need to use JavaScript but I will need to figure out how to execute only if valid.   I will create another post.

Badge +5

Hi Bruce Stemplewski‌,

The only option that comes to mind at this time, is wrapping your workflow actions in a action set workflow action. Then you can configure the action set for impersonation. However, if I'm not mistaken, it will impersonate and log the wrapped action as the workflow creator. I don't think you can specify whom you can impersonate.

Badge +8

It will.  I solved the issue (reluctantly) with JavaScript.

How do you do this with Javascript?

It's frustrating that it's not possible for the person to save the text as that user in the workflow.  The journaling aspect of the "Add to Existing" is screwed up because it is showing the comments being saved by the initiator, which is clearly wrong.