Plan per slot (No Destinations)?

Badge +5

Hi,

I was taking a look at the Advanced Destinations PDF file and i ended up with a doubt regarding the Plan per Slot (No Destinations) configuration. It starts by saying that "The Plan per slot (no destination) method is reserved for server events based activities."

I have processes that contain Activities only with "Server" events like default server event (code), smartobjects event and sharepoint xx event (no IPCs). These kind of activities i normally don't even care about configuring destinations, i simply drag the default activity item from Toolbox and put the events inside.

With this Plan per slot (no destinations) option, is it better/wise to configure these kind of activities with this option instead of leaving as is?

If so, the (no destinations) configuration wizard then asks for the number of slots to be created, as the activity only has server events should i say 0 slots or 1 slot? Actually the workflow seems to run ok with both values...

Thanks 

3 replies

Badge +9

"Plan per slot (No Destinations)" is typically used in scenarios where a process needs to kick off an unknown number of sub-processes via IPC.

For example, assume a Purchase Order can have 1 or many individual Line Items on it.  A Purchase Order review process may require each Line Item to kick off via IPC its own corresponding manufacturing process.  Since at design time we don't know how many line items an order will have we need to handle this dynamically.  Thus the "Plan per slot (no Destinations)" can be used to dynamically kick off the required amount of child processes.

HTH.

Badge +5

And if my activity doesn't have an IPC event?

I'm aware for that feature to kick off a variable number of IPC events, but when i put the question i was talking about activities without IPC or Infopath and only Code, SmartObjects or Sharepoint Events. For these kind of activities is it wise/worth to configure as Plan per slot (No Destinations) or should we leave them as is i.e. drag from Toolbox to design canvas and don't even care about entering the destinations wizard?

Thanks

Badge +9

Destination Rules are only required on Activities that contain a Client Event.  In addition to this, the only other time they are typically used is in the IPC/ Plan per Slot scenario mentioned above.  Beyond Activites that contain a Client Event and an Activity that contains an IPC, Desintation Rules are not typically used (i.e. you don't even need to run the Destination wizard for any other scenario).

I hope that clears things up a bit.