Not applicable

Create Item with content type Link to a Document

We have a SharePoint document library where 2 contents types are enabled: 'Document' and 'Link to a Document'.  When I try to create an item ('Create Item' action) whith the content type 'Link to a Document' the action fail with the message:  Failed to create item. Could not find the document template at '/_layouts/NewLink.aspx' to create the item with. I have checked that the NewLink.aspx exists in the right server folder, and that the template associated to the content type is the right one. Do you have any clue to solve this issue ?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Create Item with content type Link to a Document

Did you ever solved this ? I experience the same problem.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Same error here. Would be really useful to use this link to document content type.

0 Kudos
aaron_labiosa
Nintex Newbie

What version of SharePoint are you using? I would assume 2010 as there is no 15 after '/_layouts/'.

If you are using 2013, you might consider copying that aspx file to the 14 hive from the 15 hive.

Default location for SharePoint 2013:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS

Default location for SharePoint 2010:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS

Cheers!‌

0 Kudos
aaron_labiosa
Nintex Newbie

I just tried this on SharePoint 2013 and did not run into any issues:

content_type1.png

content_type2.png

Is the site you are doing this on migrated from 2010 perhaps? that would explain the reference to the legacy ASPX page if the content types were brought over from 2010...

0 Kudos
Not applicable

We are using SP2010. It's a new site based on team site template. Any pointers?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

We also use Sharepoint 2010.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi all, we have identified this as a bug. A fix is in the pipeline, no ETA but will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
shyamshinde08
Forms Fledgling

Hi Emily,

I have a SharePoint document library where two contents types are enabled: 'Document' and 'Link to a Document'.  When I try to create an item ('Create Item' action) with the content type 'Link to a Document' the action fails with a message:  Failed to create item. Could not find the document template at '/_layouts/NewLink.aspx' to create the item with. I have checked that the NewLink.aspx exists in the right server folder, and that the template associated to the content type is the right one.

As, this is a bug and the concerned team is working on it, hoping that the bug will be resolved soon . For now is there any work-around available to achieve the required functionality?

Regards,

Shyam

0 Kudos
shyamshinde08
Forms Fledgling

Hi Emily,

After the fix that was provided, I tried to achieve the required functionality and it is working, but there is again another issue.

I have two Doc Libraries Source and Destination, when a document is uploaded in Source, a Link to that document is created in the Destination using "Create Item" task and "Link To Document" content type.

In that task we have a check box "Overwrite an existing item", so when I upload the same document again in my Source Library, the workflow throws an error stating "It does not support overwrite".

Please find below the screenshots for reference:

Please let me know if the behavior of the "Create Item" task is correct. If overwrite is not supported then how can I achieve this functionality.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Shyam

0 Kudos