Impact Analysis - Split ongoing workflow

• 28 August 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

All,

I have a workflow in PRD. Due to periodic enhancements size is grown up to the maximum. Client asked me to make couple of more changes but due to large size I  have suggested to split the workflow into two. 

My question here is what are things to keep in mind while changing the design and going with splitting the workflow ? There are 50 instances are still running of current workflow. Do I need to work with the client to finish them first and also ask them to stop initiating new instances (downtime to work on new changes) ? 

I am using Nintex o365. 

Thanks,

Rahul

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Rahul - 

Based on what you're saying - and without the finer details of what your workflow is doing - I think my approach would be to copy my very large workflow (let's call it Workflow 0), then import it as "Workflow A" and "Workflow B"  - and then set "Workflow 0" to not start manually, on modification, or on new - so it will no longer trigger, BUT, it WILL finish up everything it needs to do on those items still running.

Then you can set up Workflow A & B to be the ones that trigger going forward, after removing the bits that will no longer run in that "half". 

In my mind, I'm envisioning that Workflow 0 is - for example - an onboarding system that goes through HR, and then IT, but you're wanting to split it into Workflow A (HR) and Workflow B (IT). Probably more complicated than that but generally the same idea -- a split. 

One thing to keep in mind, is to ensure if you state any variables, to ensure it's duplicated across each workflow. I ran into an issue lately where I was using a variable, split a workflow, and then an email came out blank because I'd forgotten that the variable was not declared in Workflow B... that was done in Worfklow A! Oops!

Cheers!

rhia

Badge +4

Hi Rhia,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and thoughts on my query. I was also thinking something similar. I will keep all your tips in mind while working on redesigning of workflow.

Thanks,

Rahul 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Please let us know how it goes! Good luck happy.png 

Badge +4

Dear Rahul,

Just to share my experience - I tend to prefer the "Start workflow" action to the "Call Web Service" since it's much simpler. Of course, if you want to transfer variables you need to use CWS, but depending on the logic, you may look into just creating a couple more columns and update their values accordingly.

Dimiter