Solved

Copy and rename only specific attachments from a repeating section

• 25 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Folks,

I have a form that has attachments in both a repeating section and in the regular body of the form. In the repeating section, I first need to make sure that the attachment has the correct naming convention and if not, rename the attachment based on data that is partly in the repeating section and partly elsewhere in the form. After that is complete, I need to copy the attachments in the repeating section into another library. With the use of the "Copy to SharePoint" action, my workflow will dump all of the attachments in the form into the specified library. I am assuming that this will need to happen in a workflow after the form is submitted.

First, how can I rename just files in the repeating section?

Then, how can I ensure that I only copy the files in the repeating section?

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 3 February 2021, 01:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I just wanted to bumpo this and specify a few of the best and brightest that may have some insight on this. Hi @MegaJerk , @cassymfreeman , @TomaszPoszytek , @mlauer , and @SimonMuntz. Do any of you have any insight to my qustion above?

Thanks!

Patrick 

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi.

1. First, how can I rename just files in the repeating section?
A. All attachment controls are named. Look for the name of the attachment controls in the repeating sections to see the names of the files that are attached to them.

2. Then, how can I ensure that I only copy the files in the repeating section?
A. You know the names of the files you just renamed so only copy those files.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks for the response @SimonMuntz!

I will get to work on this. if I alter the file name in the XML, will that change the file name or do I need to make the change somewhere else and just use the name int he XML to track it down? Sorry... not much experience with attachments and XML.

Thanks and Regards

Patrick

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Q. If I alter the file name in the XML, will that change the file name
A. No

Q. Do I need to make the change somewhere else and just use the name int he XML to track it down?
A. Yes.
I would find the name of the file, Move it to the library and then rename it as its easier to change the name of a document in a Library than it is to change the name of an attachment.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @SimonMuntz,

Thanks for the responses. That makes perfect sense. I will respond to you here if I run into any issues. 

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick