Send Notification Question

• 29 January 2015
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Can I create a sharepoint contact list and use it in a separate workflow to send individual notifications?

9 replies

Badge +11

Yes. You could have a workflow hooked to another list that uses the 'Query List' action. That is where you would reference the Contact list. You could also have a site workflow that could reference it.

Badge +3

Would I create a variable to use in the TO: for the notification?  I'm not sure how I would get the notice to pick up each name in my other list and put it in the TO: section of the notification.

Badge +3

It works!  I did have to create a variable but it worked like a charm happy.png

Badge +3

Well...it sent one email notice!  I need it to send a notice to everyone in the list.  Any idea what I may have missed.

Badge +4

If you have a situation where there could be more than one recipient you'll need to use a collection variable when performing the Query List action and storing your Filtered people's names

Badge +3

Correct.  I did that after my post but I wanted it to create a new email per recipient.  Not sure if I did this one correctly, but I used the "for each" to send the notification and it worked like a charm.

Badge +4

The option for "Send individually addressed notifications" didn't work for you?  That will send the message to each person individually rather than seeing all the names in the To Field.

Capture.JPG

Badge +3

I apologize Peter as I have slept since I did that.  But I believe that it showed every single person in the variable.  I may have to try it again, but there was something amiss with it. 

Badge +4

Not sure if you found a new way of working through this. I just saw you replied.

Your scenario would probably be best done with a loop and some variables if you really want it to be personalized like that. Or have a parallel action with one email to the Initiator and use the Initiator Display Name in the message. Then the other path would be the message for the Manager and his display name and lightly different message.

I have several emails in workflows where I send a single message to several people but never tried to personalize the message to display their individual name.