Use update multiple items action didn't change the filed value

• 16 June 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge

185970_pastedImage_0.png

I have one workflow, more than 100 process are running well, but only once, above actions has been executed, it didn't change the field value, and the workflow no error.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

5 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

Do you have a filter in the Update multiple items action? It's possible it's not finding any matching list items.

Jan

Badge

I have data lists in two SharePoint sub-sites.  I have a propagate workflow that uses a set variable action and inline function to generate a GUID. I wrapped the fn-NewGUID() in a fn-ToLower() to ensure that the data type is text.  The GUID is stored in a column named ItemID and a Create Item in another list produces an item in the other data list and stores the GUID in a column named ItemID in that list. This workflow works fine.

A second workflow, is supposed to update the record when the current item is modified. A workflow variable, named recordGUID gets the value of the current itemID. A commit pending changes action occurs after the set variable action. A filter, within a Update Multiple Items action is supposed to find items, in the other data list, where the itemID contains the recordGUID. The workflow variable and the two ItemID columns are of the type single line of text.

According to the workflow history, this workflow completes successfully and I have a notification action e-mail me contents of the modified record; so, I know the current item had updated before the completion of the workflow. Unfortunately, the updated fields in the current item are not reflected in the corresponding item in the other data list. This screenshot depicts the all-green workflow.  However if I click on the update multiple actions box I see an error message stating "Error updating multiple items".  Is there a way to get a more informative message? What are the typical causes of this type of error?

Screenshot of the error message within the Update CS20 Media ListAll Green Workflow, which appears to indicate no problems.

Badge +5

are you updating a datetime list column with null or out of range date like (1-1-1900)?

are you trying to update a required list column with null?

Badge

Good questions -- I do have required date fields and they all have valid dates.

I believe the problem has something to do with the managed metadata fields. When I removed them from the update multiple items action, the workflow completed successfully and actually updated the fields.

Badge +5

maybe the value you are trying to update the metadata field with contains "extra" characters/ID or something?

like ID#;value instead of value alone?

try putting all the values you are trying to update in an email notification or put them in the "Common" tab inside the workflow action to see all the values you are trying to send.

with the values returned, try to update that list manually and see if you get any error.

check this article, https://community.nintex.com/community/build-your-own/blog/2016/09/12/inserting-or-updating-a-managed-metadata-field-using-nintex-workflow

it talks about updating a managed metadata field using Nintex workflow, the article is about NWF 2010 but the comments contain some samples for NWF2013

hope that helps.