Solved

Convert Document action error

• 2 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +9

I'm getting this error on a workflow when it hits the " Convert document" action. 

Error converting document. The service application required to complete this request is not currently available. Try this operation again later. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.

Same workflow is working fine on other environments. The template that the action is pulling from is on the site and the user have access to it. The word automation service and proxy are provisioned and running. The Word automation is on the application proxies list of the web application.

217911_pastedImage_1.png

We have tried this: 

- added our service account and farm account to the permissions and administration areas with full control on the service app

- Ran GrantAccessToProcessIdentity on the portal web app for both farm and service accounts

- ensured that both the windows account and claims identity for both of those accounts have Full Control on the web application policy

- performing debugging by powershell to simplify the process and remove nintex from scope

- started the Distributed cache services on the two application servers as SharePoint was complaining about those two

- stopped word conversion services on all servers except one of the application servers, enabled verbose logging, found nothing additionally helpful

Can someone please provide some information as to why this error might be occurring?? Most of the errors we have found other people encountering are indicating specifically that the word automation service is not available. But with this error, it didn't specify which service that is not available and we understand that the Convert document/update document actions are using the Word automation services. 

We have two environments, UAT and Prod. Both are configured the same, the workflow is working perfectly fine in UAT but not in PROD... Help!!

icon

Best answer by praios81 10 August 2018, 13:57

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Christine,

whenever I saw this error the missing connection to the Word Automation Service was the problem - like you said. As the connection seems to be there I think you should reach out to Nintex Support and see if they can have a look at this. They might have encountered this problem before.

Otherwise configuration seems to be fine.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +4

How did you resolve this?  I am experiencing the same thing, although the workflow with the convert document action seems to run intermittently. 

Thanks--Michelle

Badge +9
I honestly can't remember now, how we got to fix the issue at that time. But we recently encountered the same problem and after some investigations we found that some of the convert document actions were being processed on an old WFE server which we have disabled and we added a new WFE. Any of the requests that were routing to the old WFE were failing, any new ones that are processed on the new WFE are fine. It was almost 3/5 success ratio, so we weren't sure why it will sometimes work and sometimes not. Once we completely disabled the old WFE server/and prevented any of the requests to be routed there, the issue was resolved.
Badge +1

I am getting the same error-‘Error converting document. The service application required to complete this request is not currently available. Try this operation again later. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.’

Any solution for this?

Please let me know if the below configuration is ok:

Nintex license is installed on wfe server

and word automation service and SharePoint timer service are running both in wfe and app server?