approve a task & then update the form?

Badge +6

My question is quite simple really!

I have a form that can be submitted for approval. 

What i want to do is to enable a user enter some extra details into the form either as part of the approval or as a whole new step before we go for approval.

I want the approvers to be the ones that are in an email group that i presently have in the "Flexi Task" action box

I presently have the workflow like this:

198668_pastedImage_1.png

But while it will allow approval at no stage can anyone update the form with this extra information.

Can anyone guide me as to what i am missing?

Pete

15 replies

Badge +16

Hi Pete happy.png

Do you have nintex forms available to you?

The data that you want the approvers to update - does it exist in the same list?

Badge +6

Hello again Cassy - thanks for your help earlier in the week. 

I should stress that this particular question is for a different workflow - although it is likely that the answers here will help me with the other one too!

This is the form that is currently in use:

198670_pastedImage_1.png

The initiator enters all the detail into the top section & submits. What it currently does is simply an email notification to a number of people telling them the form has been raised. 

The bottom section is at no point editable (unless you have edit access for sharepoint - which i don't want) So what i want to change is to enable the material control team to re-edit the form with the information detailed, update it, & then approve.

Answering my own question, would it be simply be a case of adding a submit button for the MCTeam & doing an extension to the workflow to cover that as a separate process?

Badge +16

No worries - sorry I had to hand you over to (the very capable) Paul - school run was calling and I didn't want to stop you in your flow!

OK yes you could do what you are suggesting but here it he BEAUTY of Nintex!!

In your flexi task action go to "Edit Task Form > Edit with Nintex Forms" in the ribbon

Your approval form will open in Nintex Forms designer.

Here is the amazing bit.  On the left hand side you will see some categories, one of which is "List Columns".  Simply drag the fields you want (values of loss, loss wt, notes etc) onto the canvas for the approver to complete at the same time as approving/rejecting!

Badge +6

interesting. Not sure where to put them!

198674_pastedImage_1.png

Will it matter that the original form was created with infopath?

Badge +6

Also - i am on Forms 2010 as well as sharepoint 2010 - much to my immense frustration!

I cant quite picture how this is all going to work......

Badge +16

Hi

No it won't matter that the item form (list form) is on InfoPath.  This is a merely a way to update some item fields during approval.

As for where you put them - welcome to the frustration of learning nintex forms - if you are used to InfoPath you are going to hate it for a while, but then you will realise how much more you can achieve with nintex forms.

So looking at your shot you want to ctrl and click the OK and Cancel buttons and the rectangle directly above them, and the properties label and control.  When they are all highlighted use the down arrow to move them down your canvas.  After that, drag a label control on the form under comment label.  double click it to change the display text.  resize as required.  Then drag on list column you want underneath the comments text field.  do this as many times as you need to add the columns you want updating on the form.

Badge +6

Righto - will have a try!

What is this doing that Infopath hasn't been / wont do?

Are you saying that i need to re-do the whole form (IE Both the top & bottom sections) in Nintex forms? 

If not how is the new section going to integrate with what is already on my form? Surely i am simply repeating them aren't I?

Badge +16

OK ignore that I am on 2013 as it really doesn't matter in this instance.  When i click to edit the task form in InfoPath i get the out of the box form (2013 is blue, 2010 is ghastly orange).

So to add columns that i want to be updated in the task form i move everything below Workflow status further down my form, then add the columns i want and labels to match.  It then looks like this:

Badge +16

No do not replace your InfoPath form.  that form is for item viewing, editing and adding right.  this form  is not the same.  when you assign a flexi task you are actually creating a task item in the workflow tasks list.  you are editing the entry form for that specific task in your workflow.

What the form will actually do is when you add those columns is it will update the task in the workflow task but will also update the columns in the list item the workflow is running on.  you will then be able to see this updated item data in your original InfoPath form when viewing the item.  Does that make sense at all?

I will have a look and see if there are any helpful links I can find on getting started with Nintex Forms.

Have you looked into any training for nintex products?  Are you UK based?  If so - I couldn't recommend Combined Knowledge highly enough - we use them for all of our stuff and they trained me originally. 

Badge +6

Oh wow!

Amazingly i got that to work! Thanks Cassy - have a large glass of Vino later!

I really must try to get my head around what i just did - it is going to be REALLY important on the other thread!

Thanks again

Pete

Badge +16

Love these breakthrough moments!! 

Badge +6

just a really quick question. Some members of the team don't need to fill in every entry point on the form.

If we enter nothing into the Pt, PD & Rh cells but enter a number into the "value of loss" the value of loss comes back/saves nothing.

If we enter a number into the Pt, Pd & Rh columns then it saves the number we enter into the "Value of loss" cell

Any idea what this could be?

Badge +16

is it a calculated field?  either in the list or in InfoPath?  if you look at the value in the list view (you may need to add it to the view) is it there?

Badge +6

Morning Cassy

Hope u had a good weekend?

Back to my question from Friday if that is OK? The field that has the "value of loss" is a text only field. I attempted to change it to a currency but there is a lot of data already stored via the form (i am updating an existing form rather than creating a new one) so it wont let me save the changes.

This is how the field settings look at present:

198754_pastedImage_1.png198755_pastedImage_2.png 198756_pastedImage_3.png198757_pastedImage_4.png

So as you can see they are all text cells & don't appear to be interdependent

I have also given the form the once over & all cells are text (Notes is a rich text)

So i am at a loss as toy what this could be

Any other suggestions?

Pete

Badge +16

Hi Pete

i am away at InspireX this week so unable to look - perhaps ‌ can take a look for you? If not I will be back next week if no one is able to help you before then please holler x