Cancellation Workflow

Badge +11

Hello All,

I have a current workflow which goes through 2 approval processes > Manager > HR. Meaning, I have two separate Flexi Tasks instead of One and have 2 approval required.  Reason for not going with 1 x Flexi Task is because I was not sure how to do it so it always asks Manager first and then HR.  Would be cool to find more about this option happy.png

Anyway back to the main topic:

Purpose is so when a user makes a holiday request and is still in approval process (whether by Manager or HR) or even being already fully approved - yet, have the chance to cancle the workflow due to change of circumstances.

Now, in my opinion there are 3 steps depending on the status: Pending, In Progress or Approved.

Therefore, I have added a Switch function which checks the status and goes down the branch, in return it stops the relevant workflow and sends out an email notification., as seen below:

Problem:

The Terminate Workflow action does sent out an email to requester notifying that the request has been cancelled but the Approver is not aware of it ?? Also, when the Manager goes to the approval screen, he may see some errors?

How can I make a more user friendly cancellation, so that 3 parties (Manager, HR and User) is aware about it?!

Any suggestions...

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi!

Terminate Workflow always sends cancellation mails that people interpret as an error instead as a result on purpose. People are struggling with this since a lot of time, like here:  

Maybe the solution there helps you too. It basically sends cancellation notifications to a whole different mailbox and does all additional messaging manually.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +11

I guess, Nintex is aware of this but yet no solution?

Indeed, the email notification makes it sounds as if there was an error in the workflow.

Disabling the email notification does it not mean it will disable all or any potential real WF errors?!

Badge +10

Email notifications are not the same as error notifications (and therfore also treated differently by NINTEX).

Error notification settings can be altered within the SharePint Website Settings -> Workflow Settings -> Workflow Error Notifications

Badge +11

Hallo Michael, grüss dich.

So, in my workflow I have added the Email Notification which I can make it say whatever I want.
However, once the Terminate Workflow has run > I am sure SharePoint will sent an automatic email to the requester saying something "... workflow was cancelled by ,, because of an error..." or something similar.

Can that text be altered??

The Workflow Error Notification looks like this:

All I can do is, disable the notifications but not alter the text.
I guess that is impossible at the moment ... as per Enrico's suggestion.

As per the above option, if I tick NO that means nobody will receive any error notifications when a Workflow has been cancelled or even if a workflow has run into an error for some reason. Yes, I can include my own email just to keep informed in case something goes wrong??

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

If you tick "No" initiators won't get an error message. While this is good to keep users from getting strange error mails you should provide a service mailbox or something in the next field to ensure that someone gets notified when errors occur and then reach out to the users to help them get around the error.

If you only put your mail in that box you will have to troubleshoot all workflows as no one else will be notified when errors occur.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +10

Grüß Dich auch! grin.png

AFAIK error notifications cannot be altered concerning the text. But why would you?

Concerning the error notification setting my best practice is to use an admin email adress for the notifications. Setting them off is really not recommended!

Badge +11

Enrico and Michael

Danke euch happy.png vielmals.
I will disable the initiator's  notification feature and add an shared email account in the next field.

Badge +11

By the way:

Once a WF has been cancelled, the approver gets the below error message IF they clicked back on the approval link in relation to the task.  Wonder, if this is something that can be changed ... ?! Just to make it more user-friendly?

At this point, it is unclear whether it has been cancelled on purpose or because of an error.

Badge +10

As someone who has been assigned to a task you should receive a "response no longer required" notification as soon as a workflow has been cancelled - and therefore normally no-one would try to follow the link to the (old) task...

Badge +11

ich, der Dummkopf lol

Of course, there is that option which I ironically have disabled confused.png
Ahh, all is good now .. just overthinking too much.

Danke nochmals.