Connected calculated fields do not save to the SharePoint list

• 20 September 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge +6

Hello,

I have a few calculated fields and I connected them to a list column.  I saved / published the form and ran a test.  The form ran correctly but the calculated fields did not save their values to the associated connected column.  When I go back into the form to view it, the calculated fields are empty.

any ideas?

15 replies

Badge +5

Do you really need to pass the value from Calculated Value field to EligibleTotal100?

If you just enable Recalculate Formula in View Mode to Yes, the Calculated Value field will show the value in View mode.

The connected to in Calculated Value actually refers to the input for Calculated Value.

You can see this if you manually insert value for EligibleTotal100 to something else.

In View Mode, you can see Calculated Value is taking that input instead of the formula (if you didn't enable Recalculate Formula in View Mode).

Badge +6

Hi Abdullah,

Clicking the checkbox to show the calculations on view fixed my viewing issue.  Thank you.

It does not seem that I need to connect my SharePoint list column data "EligibleTotal100" to the calculated value as the value will be derived from the other inputs on the form.  What I do need is to be able to save the calculated value back to the SharePoint list field "EligibleTotal100".  Perhaps there is a way to calculate the value directly on the form using the list column but I did not see a way to do any calculations for a list column.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

This should work anyway. What is the data type of your column?

Badge +6

Currency.  Could that be the issue?  currency on the sharepoint list column and currency on the calculated value

Badge +5

Probably you can go to Save button control settings.

In Advanced tab > Connected to, choose EligibleTotal100.

Use same formula in Calculated Value in Value returned.

Set Data type returned as Currency.

Please let me know your result.

Badge +6

Hi Abdullah, 

I gave that a try but it did not work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is the field set as disabled? I am facing issues when fields are disabled or.hidden as data from them is not being saved...

I am, instead of disabling, adding a CSS, transparent overlay to cover the field..

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

‌ did you manage to work out the solution? 

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +6

Hi Tomasz,

I did not get forms to save to the list the way I wanted to.  I ended up creating calculated fields in the list and using the input from the other fields to do the calculations in the SharePoint list.  I have a lot of forms to do.. so I'm sure to find the correct answer soon.  I'll post it here when I get it resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I must say that I am also using calculated fields bond to SP list columns and had never have issues... Maybe the datatype is different? Ex. the field mapped to your column is number or other than "currency"? Or maybe it is disabled by a rule?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +1

Robert,

I had the same issue recently and went back through my form and found a cascading drop down controls with the text tied to the same column.  Only the last one will write back to the SharePoint list and for drop downs if their is no value selected for a final field, (such as a dropdown that is not selected) it will treat it as a null.  Hopefully it's that simple. 

Badge +4

Just came across this, not sure if you are still having this issue... but I've found that if I leave my Advanced>Control Mode settings as "AUTO" it tends to work.  I also save them as "STRING" instead of Generic.

Badge +3

Hi Micheal,

Your solution worked like a charm for me, thanks for that.

I hit the same problem - if the field is disabled or hidden, the values are not saved. I found a workaround though: set the field as visible and enabled but add a rule ({self}=={self} so that it always fires) to disable or hide it. It did the trick for me.

While I didn't use the rule, I did have the Calculated field disabled only and enabling it did resolve my issue. Thanks for the tid-bits of information Jim.