Multiple Events under one activity

• 30 November 2006
  • 5 replies

Badge +5
I have two events under one activity. One does a notification to the submitter (which is first) and then another notification to the approver. It seems that only the first event is happening. I'd like them both to fire off asynchronously. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

5 replies

Badge +8
when you have multiple events in a single activity the events exectute in the order that they appear. If the first event is a client event then the process will wait for the destination user to complete the event before the second event is executed. My guess is that this is what is happening in your case.

I hope this helps.
-Eric
Badge +5
Thanks Eric! I have the first event as a notification to the submitter that their process was submitted and the 2nd event goes to the approving manager. Since the first event is just notification (and no action is needed on the submitters part, how can I get both events to fire off instead of waiting on one?
Badge +9
As Eric said, Events will always execute in a top down order within an Activity. The only way an event would prevent execution of a event later in the chain was if it was a Client Event, an asynchronous server event, an asynchronous IPC Event or an error was encountered.

Can you make sure that the email notification that is being sent to the originator in the first event is using the "Server Mail" event? A Server Mail event is a server event and thus will not wait for any response.

If a "Server Mail" event is being used, then check K2 Service Manager to see if there is some error being encountered when K2 is trying to send the email.
Badge +9
Opps... I mistyped on my post above.

A Synchronous IPC Event will cause the K2 to wait until the sub process is completed before continuing the event chain, not an asynchronous IPC as mentioned above.
Badge +9

Hi All,

I mistyped under the wrong subject. I hope this post fits in here.

I kept one Client Event and one Server Mail Event in a single activity. The activity has 3 destination users. But what I found is that if one user out of 3 completes the WorkListItem , then also the Server Mail event is not getting fired. The server event is getting fired only if all the 3 users complete their respective WorklistItem.

Is it the expected output when we take one client and one Server Mail event in a single activity ?

Pls guide

Thanks and Regards