Previous versions of workflows set to \allow\"

• 20 September 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

We noticed some unusual things in our stage environment recently, and I'm hoping to find some assistance with narrowing down what might be causing it. The previous versions of all workflows are set to "allow" instead of "no new instances". The result is that scheduled workflows are running previous versions, and when attempting to manually start a workflow, you have a list of all of the previous versions instead of just the current version.

I'm concerned that we don't know what caused this and we might encounter it in our production environment, or cause it in our production environment inadvertently. 

Is there a setting or something in the webconfig for our app servers that we can look for? 

Stage example:
stage settings

Production example:

prod settings

Recent changes include .net patching for the windows servers which broke our workflows with conditional actions and scheduled workflows. Also, the recommended fix for this was applied. We noticed this behavior afterwards, but I'm not sure if it was a result or if we just hadn't seen it since we're not always in stage.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

1 reply

Badge +1

We have run into this exact issue during our Production migration to 2016.  We noticed the exact same thing that you show in your screenshots occurred after we applied the fix to the .NET patch that broke workflows.  This caused a huge issue as we had user's inboxes being completely filled up with duplicate emails due to every previous version of every workflow running now too.  It's disappointing to not find a method to resolve this without going into every list via Workflow Settings and then set each previous version to no new instances.