Can i create Site Collection Reusable workflow on \Nintex Workflow Task\" content type??"

• 5 September 2014
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Objective:

For each task created by the task activity, i want to break permission inheritance for the task and assign ITem level permissions [like only to assigne].

I am creating a reusable workflow on "Nintex Workflow Task" content type, which would be btriggered on item [task creation in task list.

I get co-relation id error while trying to attach this workflow on "Ninext workflow task" content type and found following in the logs

Runtime                     

tkau        Unexpected        System.ArgumentException:

Workflows may not be associated with content types whose base is on

'WorkflowTask'.    at

Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPContentTypeWorkflowAssociationCollection.Add(SPWorkflowAssociation

workflowAssociation)     at

Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.WrkAssocPage.PerformAssociation()     at

Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.AssocWrkflPage.OnLoad(EventArgs ea)     at

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()   

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean

includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Has anyone faced this earlier?

Any suggestions around this are welcome

Thanks,

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Actually, running workflows on workflow tasks is highly NOT recommended. There will be all kinds of locking issues on the tasks (users unable to complete tasks for 5 minutes while the secondary workflow is "starting up").

When I had this situation that I had to update information of a task after it was created by the workflow, I created an event receiver and changed what I needed to on the task in the Item Adding event. This causes no locking issues for the workflow.

If you cannot break out in code you could do this in other means. First, changing the permission, is the final objective to not allow others to see that there is a task to the assignee, or to prevent others from completing the task? I could see methods to complete one objective being different from the other though they seem the same.