I have had similar recently with reusable workflows and support said it was to do with the column name length and (previous value).
I created exact same workflow and list with smaller column names and it worked fine - are any of you able to test and confirm that same issue?
Caused me weeks of problems!
I agree with Cassy. I was just running into this same issue and read Cassy's comment earlier and thought to myself, "This can't be it!". Now after 2 hours of trouble shooting, I've decided to try and rename my column, "Policy Document Status". Which, the name of the previous variable would have been "Policy Document Status (previous value)".
I figured, why not try it, so I shortened the column name to "Document Status" and low and behold, the conditional start works every time now.
I have no idea what the max character limit is but taking our 7 characters from my original 39 or 40 characters (might have miss counted) did the trick.
Thanks, Cassy! I'm sorry I discounted your recommendation earlier. You're the real MVP!
this one took me by complete surprise! I told Nintex it was a bug and they should fix it but they said it's a SharePoint limitation. Definitely one to think about for the future. We have updated a lot of our governance now just to cater for this issue!
Workflow is not the right tool for time critical business processes. It works in batches and if too many workflow work items are scheduled, some may be intentionally delayed until next batch. It isn't even guaranteed to start, e.g. when SharePoint encounters errors working with attachments (file name, size, timeout, antivirus, etc), the event receiver to start the workflow simply doesn't execute. Sometimes workflows don't start because of the permissions the user lacks at the item or the list level.