UPDATED: Adding a Role within a Role

Badge +2

We're looking to implement task assignment by using K2 Roles on the current solution I'm building - one of the requirements is to be able to move users to roles ad-hoc by the process admins.  My thought was to just use K2 Roles and then move roles within themselves when necessary - I belive this is something that is supported by K2 (and I'm pretty sure it even talks about this in the K2 Professional book) but from Management Console the radio button doesn't seem to be enabled when searching for a role (see attached image).

I'm obviously missing something here but I'm not sure what.  I'm using the latest K2 101 demo VPC for POC purposes which I'm pretty sure is the latest and greatest version.

Thanks. 

UPDATED: After some testing, more reading and more testing I'm thinking this is a feature that shows in the UI but can't actually be accomplished.  I used the following example (http://tinyurl.com/mvh55l) to connect and browse the roles via the API; what I ended up seeing was that the role information is stored (or at least presented to us) as XML that has a section for:

- Users

- AD Groups

- SmartObjects

So there isn't even a construct for the storage of K2 Roles within those Roles.

Not sure if there is really a plan to change this although I'm a little disappointed that the UI shows you the option (it's pretty misleading) but for now, we'll just be using a mix of AD Groups and Roles to accomplish our objective.

14984i9CDBFB1CD8BD11E7.gif

3 replies

Badge +5

I originally thought it could not be done but then as the book said it could be done i looked a little further. 

I do not think that you can add it directly as the interface for adding roles does not allow you to choose a role. However if when adding a role item you choose smartobject tab rather than the users tab and select the following options:

SmartObject: UMUser

Method Name: Get Role Users

Property: Name

Value: The name of the role to source your users from

When the role is evaluated it will then to the smartobject lookup which will get the list of user from the role name given.

I hope this helps

Badge +2

I saw the SO tab and started looking at that as well; however, since the UI presents a radio button (albeit one that doesn't work) to add a role as a role item I've got to belive that it can be done.  I wonder if this can be accomplished via the API... 

Badge +5

I would be interested to know as well re the API. The UI is a generic UI which is used is many areas of the management console so you will find that areas which are not applicable are disabled (for example you can't assign a role to process permissions and the role option in the dialog is disabled also.

Murph