Forms Design: changing the auto generated form

Badge +9

Hi

I am trialing Nintex Forms and Workflows.  created mu first form on the Office 365 Team Site library with the existing list columns, saved and published. 

Ok now I need to make changes such as

• Create a new column and insert it into   a new 'row' on the form with an appropriate label
  • Allow metadata selection on the meta data columns
  • Configure the people pickers  on the  people columns

Is there any docs / howtos other than the training videos ( which I am will be going through) a bit later that cover the above

Daniel

13 replies

Badge +17

Daniel,

I will walk through this for you and upload the video during our Nintex Hangout today Nintex Hangout

Badge +9

Cool when is this happening

Daniel

Badge +9

Eric

So far I have increased the size of the form - but no idea how to position my new column in the correct place and shift the existing columns below .

I have set my self in People column as default user noticed couldn't change this ( as my users might) when I tested the form in the generated  preview.

Btw I am in the UK so could I please have the ETA ( GMT)  for the Hangout.

Daniel

Badge +17

This is about to go live in 10 minutes if you want to tune in :-).  Here is the link Nintex Hangout - Nintex Forms Q&A (May 18th) - Google+ .  Let me know if you want to join in to ask questions.

Badge +9

Yep I am there now.

Daniel

Badge +17

Daniel, here is the section on the hangout.... starting at 6:45 Nintex Hangout - Nintex Forms Q&A (May 18th) - YouTube .  Let me know if this helps.

Badge +9

Eric

Thanks for setting up the hangout last night .  The resolution of the video meant that is difficult to see except on a bigger screen which is what I have been doing today. 

Good tips on dragging & dropping plus adding controls such as labels.

I have added a panel but I have struggled to get it to hide  an End Date Column based on radio control when I have added this Rule to

the panel.  Ideally I want to hide the label and I don't really want a Yes / NO check box

Hide show a panel.PNG

It is probably me don doing the logic of the panel hide /show  ;-( .   Made me think of when I last worked with PowerBuilder.

Daniel

Badge +9

Hmmmm

Well Eric did give me some great advice and I have been followed the Tutorials... However, if I go beyond the basics then I struggle

• I simply can't hide the above End date based on the validation rule . To be honest the UI is very counter intuitive as you check the hide or disable check box and somehow the expression evaluation to true (or false somehow) is meant to change this state. PowerShell it is not!
  • The metadata selection support isn't currently in Office 365 so if there is a workaround that would be good -  I can code in JavaScript/CSOM/REST calls  if required.
  • I can set the People control to the logged in user but what if I want to allow the user to change the selection as in the case of somebody on a support desk who is logging a support call on behalf of somebody else.

I am online for a few hours tonight to try and get my client demo working and so happy to participate in another hangout with Eric.

Cheers

Daniel

Badge +9

Hi

Starting with Issue 1:  If I replace with the radio buttons with a check box control  and create another panel .  I drag my End Date into the panel and add the usual validation rule.

Panel Hide logic.jpg

Add another validation rule to the panel.

ShowIt Panel Validation rule.jpg

............ But I still can't get this to work in New Form Generated Preview :-( .  Oh well maybe one day .....

Daniel

Badge +4

Hey Daniel, try creating a choice column (radio button) and connect your control to this field

Gon

Badge +9

Gon

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried that already as this is one of the list columns (image above). I could try and a empty Radio Control to see if  this works. Then connect to list column.

Also I still need to resolve surfacing metadata in to the form for Nintex to be viable to  my client. But we can look at that offline

Daniel

Badge +9

Gon

I have an update.

Check box named controls do work:  I have tried these now on two lists with two different site templates. You can break them tho and occasionally I have had to delete the validation rule on the panel and recreate. I have found to expect the unexpected!

Radio button /choice fields also work but I found I had to create the named control , test the validation rule and then connect to the relevant list column.  I couldn't just drag my choice list list column and then included this in my validation rule.

I was able to add a new item to the list which included the list column, revealed in the validation rule.

Now this leaves the just  metadata list column selection and If somebody could point me to a  JavaScript example that would great.

Daniel

Badge +9

Hi again

I think a possible workaround is have  couple of lists with text fields that duplicate meta columns then I will need to set up a cascaded lookup on these.  There is meant to be a Tutorial on this for Office 365 Forms.

Daniel