Workflow emails going to junk folder

• 19 January 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.  We have many lists and libraries using Nintex workflows and any email being sent from the workflow goes to the user's inbox.  I have one list where some emails go to the user's inbox and other emails go to their junk folder and I cannot figure out why.  All emails are being sent from the same account.  The workflow is a very simple one...

1. Staff member fills out a Nintex form
  2. Once they submit the form, the staff member receives a confirmation email (goes to inbox) and a representative of the form receives an email
  3. The workflow waits for a field to not be blank
  4. Once the field gets filled in, an approver of the form receives an email
  5. The approver will approve or deny the request
  6. The staff member who filled out the form will receive an email stating their request has been approved or denied.  This email goes to their junk folder.

This seems to be the only workflow where emails are going to the junk folder.  What I don't understand is why the first email goes to their inbox and the last one goes to their junk folder.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I can easily have staff members click on the email in Outlook and not block the sender, but we don't want to roll this out to 1,000+ employees and expect them to do that.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Does it also happen with your user?

If it does, please test adding a "send notification" action , sending you a test email.

Does this test email go to junk?

Badge +11

I've also received emails that go into the junk folder. It is frustrating. Sometimes they go in the Inbox and sometimes junk folder.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Have you shown the case to your Exchange administrator?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Sometimes you don't need to change parameters for the 10000 users, it can be changes on some common policies by your administrator.

Overview of the Junk Email Filter - Outlook

Badge +2

Hi Fernando,

The initial email as well as the approved/denied email gets sent to the Created By user.  I have tested this myself and the majority of the time emails come to my inbox, but a few times they have been sent to my junk folder.  I emailed some information about this to our Exchange administrators.  After doing some researching online, it seems like it could be on the Exchange side and not necessarily an issue with SharePoint or Nintex.

Jillian

Badge +2

This actually turned out to be an issue with Exchange and Outlook.  Our Exchange servers are 2013, but we are using Outlook 2010.  Our administrators are looking into the issue and how to correct it.

Badge

Hi all,

in our environment we have hundreds of workflows with email notifications, approval task emails etc. and 99.9% of them end up in users' inbox (our email server is Exchange 2007 SP3 and Office 2010/13 clients) which is good.

They are always sent from the same server (same IP) and our SP e-mail configuration is working fine.

However, we have just one workflow with an e-mail notification that ALWAYS ends up in users junk. I know it is not Exchange classing this message as spam, as its X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL equals 0. Somehow Outlook with its spam filter (set to Low anyway) thinks this particular message is spam. Surely. it cannot be Outlook configuration as it happens just for this particular workflow. We will not be changing or turning off the Outlook spam filter completely to fix this troublesome workflow. To me, it sounds like there is something in the workflow that causes the above behavior.

I tried many things: moved the notification action up and down, in and out of Action sets, changed e-mail recipients, hard-coded from and to fields. None of this helps.

The only comparison I can make to Jillian Lenczicki's workflow from this thread is that our one has an action to wait for a field to change its value. Could this be the offender and somehow tricking Outlook to class the message as spam? Or am I going down a blind alley? Cheers folks.