Not applicable

Combine Emails/Messaging in to 1 Notification

Jump to solution

Workflow is currently set to notify an Approver that a Task is waiting for approval. Customer has asked if there is a way to send ONE email notification per week with all emails combined rather than sending each time an approval is requested. I don't know if this would even be possible. Any ideas?

28 Replies
andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Combine Emails/Messaging in to 1 Notification

Jump to solution

Yes.

1. In your workflow that is creating the tasks, in the Task notification options, select delivery type none.
  2. Create a scheduled site workflow. In this workflow, query the Workflow Task list, filter using status not equal to completed. You can further filter by any other field in the task list as well (related item, task name if for a specific task type, content type - you can have more than one in a task list, time span, person, status, etc).
    1. But if you have multiple people to send the weekly notification to, you will most likely have an initial query to the Workflow Task list filtered by Status not equal to completed and return the one field "assign to", put this in a collection
    2. Use the collection operation to remove duplicates
    3. Begin looping through this collection using For Each action and set the variable that stores the Current Item of the collection (a person)
    4. Query the workflow task list again, filtered by status(ex: Not Started or In Progress or both) and also by the person who is the current value in the loop
    5. this will return just the workflow tasks for this person that are not completed
    6. Any information you retrieve in this query is what you can build into an email for this individual
    7. On each iteration of the loop through the people collection, you will run steps 4-6 on each person and they will all get their summary emails

Do not create any workflows on the workflow task list. This is a scheduled site workflow that is querying the workflow task list which is safe. Even more so if you are only doing this once a week.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you Andrew. I am going to try this and see if I can get it to work. If I have any questions will let you know and if all goes smoothly, I will come back and mark this reply as an ANSWER to my questions. Thank you for taking the time to post.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Andrew has a good idea on how to solve this.  While I haven't tried this yet, I would also suggest that you consider creating an alert for the user(s) on the task list - you can select that alerts are only generated for new items added and only sent as a weekly summary

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Andrew,

I didn't get any further than step 1 and already hit a snag. In the "Send Notification" task, I do not have the option of selecting "None" as a delivery type. (see below)

delivery-type.jpg

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I am using Nintex 2010 and my 'Assign Flexi-Task' has Email, User Preference and None as options. I see you are using 'Send Notification' task instead of 'Assign Flexi-Task'. I don't know if that makes the difference.

0 Kudos
andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

You mentioned that you did not want the task to send the notification immediately, but send later in a summary. So the first action would be to turn off the task's notification. If the task options, set the Delivery Type to None.

Later you will be using a Send Notification action to send the tasks that are outstanding in a custom email. That will always have to be delivered and you would not adjust the delivery type.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

burkslm,

You are correct, I am not using a Flexitask here but rather a "Send Notification" to let the Manager of the originator know what files have not been submitted for the month (compares 2 lists, one of Originators Accounts and one of the monthly submissions for those accounts).

Also, and I didn't mention this earlier, but I already have a scheduled workflow that runs on the 25th of the month and goes through every item (kicks off each item's workflow) to compare the 2 lists (as described above).

0 Kudos
andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Does the workflow that is started on each individual item have a Workflow Task assigned in them? if so, that is where you want the task to not notify the manager so they get 20 task notifications. But in your site workflow, or a secondary site workflow it could do as I described earlier to send the one email after the tasks are assigned.

I want to make sure we have the bigger picture and not provide suggestions that do not fit. Maybe provide some more detail in the workflow that is kicked off by the scheduled workflow. (I'm assuming there is a task assigned there)

Sorry for my confusion

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Andrew

I apologize for not giving enough information. I'm always afraid to make my questions TOO in the weeds and confuse people when it may just be an answer like "Yes, you can." I think I was looking for that first and THEN go into the details. Anyway, I think this what you are asking for (below). This is the workflow that is kicked off on each item in the Control File list (that's the name of the list) by the Scheduled Site Workflow that runs daily to check what day it is and then kicks off the Control File workflow on each item on the 25th of each month (below). So each item is sending an email and they would like somehow to send 1 notification (on the 25th) of all outstanding items for the Prepare. I realize, looking at this workflow, that we may have to do a collection on the Preparer and one on the Manager's (the Manager/Approver is not a 1 to 1 relationship, this info is populated in the form manually...meaning "person A" may use "manager b" in one list item and use "manager c" in another list item). Let me know if I left out any necessary info.

workflow-image.jpg

0 Kudos