Send Notification not working for some users

• 22 February 2018
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi All,

I have recently set up a list workflow for a SP 2013 list, which is basically generating a report and sending it out to respective users mentioned in one of the columns of the list. 

1. I have used Set Variable (lets say, UserName), to fetch the User from Current Item with return type - User - Display Name

2. I used same variable, UserName, in Send Notification "To:" 

In our SharePoint farm, we have user accounts synced from 2 different Domains. Some people have accounts in both the domains. Ex: Tom Hanks. But I need only one of them to be considered.

The issue, when UserName variable is looking for Tom Hanks, the email is not sent. 

Fun part - Workflow is completed successfully, without any error.

So, I asked Active Directory team to change Display Name of Tom Hanks, in the not - important Domain as "Tom Hanks Cast Away"

The other important Domain account still has "Tom Hanks"

I ran the same WF - WF Successful - No Email sent. (I was in Cc, neither did I receive any).

Any idea ??

3 replies

Badge +5

Hi Ivan,

First, does your user column set as User/Group type or just Text field type? Are those users name matching with AD display name? Try to verify with your name in To: without any other name whether you are receiving the notification or not. Try to log the variable in workflow history, to track what the value set in there after assigning them.

Badge +1

Yes its a People Picker 

Badge +1

Anyway, I found the answer. Query User Profile - get the email attribute from desired Domain - make it variable and send mail / task to this mail variable and not the User profile.