nj
Design Canvas Artiste

Central task location / rollup

Jump to solution

We had RedHat demo a BPM software for us which was overall pretty cumbersome and unintuitive. One of the things about it we did love though, was the ability to see all tasks assigned to you across the entire environment. 

Now unless you run entirely inside of a single site collection, this doesn't look possible OOTB in SharePoint. I'd like your input on the below method, or if you've created your own solution to this I would love to hear about it.

Description

One way we thought about completing this is in each workflow, have it create an item in a central list with identifying information like assignee, originitating workflow name, url to task.

Benefits

You could see all tasks at one time. You could receive all tasks in one notification email.

Problems

The problem with this method is clearing the central list as it's worked. I haven't found a good way to do that without creating extra work on the end-user. One way would be for them to delete the central item after they've completed the task. This requires additional input from the user though.

Another way was to have a site workflow that matches ID's with the tasks and the central list and then deletes any it can't find matches for. The problem with that is it's not immediate so even after completing a task, the user would still see the item in their central list.

I can't imagine we're the only ones who thought about some kind of task center. Has anyone come up with a way to roll up tasks into a central location? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Central task location / rollup

Jump to solution

do you insist on OOTB/native sharepoint solution?

are you aware of nintex's "My workflow tasks" webpart?

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/SharePoint/Nintex.Workflow.Item...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
nj
Design Canvas Artiste

Jump to solution

I'm familiar. They only show tasks on the site. We have many sites and collections.

0 Kudos
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

that's matter of configuration...

i.jpg

0 Kudos
nj
Design Canvas Artiste

Jump to solution

I had not seen that option before.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I have a page with a My Workflow tasks web part set to Farm, and then I have a task in a separate site collection assigned to me and it does not show. 

We DO have Enterprise Nintex Workflow. Is there something else I'm missing here?

Edit: I take that back. Wow. It works fine. OK, awesome. Thanks @emha 

0 Kudos
nj
Design Canvas Artiste

Jump to solution

One other question. I have some tasks here that lead directly to error pages. I have some that are linked to workflows that don't exist and when you click Remove task, refresh the page, they come back. I also have some blanks that just show a workflow name but there is no actual task.

I also do not seem to have a "default sort option" as listed on the documentation you linked.

image.pngimage.png

0 Kudos
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

I do experience similar issues, but just on test env.  but there I create and delete objects back and forth. so no surprise some dependencies get broken. I've never put too much attention on that.

you may try to purge history and task list or purge workflow data, whether they get cleaned.

if you know what tasklist or workflow they come from and these still exist, you may navigate there on your own and try to finish in a normal way.

regarding sorting, I'm as well not sure. what workflow version are you on?

0 Kudos
nj
Design Canvas Artiste

Jump to solution

We're using Nintex Workflow 2013 (3.1.8.0) - English.

I'll try purging the histories to see if that helps. 

0 Kudos
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

I'm not sure when this feature was introduced, but in 3.4.0.0 I can see it.

0 Kudos