Responsive Forms - Field validation on button click event

Badge

I am using Responsive Forms for my new application. I want to validate a Multiline field on the event of Save & Submit button click. How can we achieve that in Responsive Forms? I used classic forms before but due to JS support, it was lot easier.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

your only options are validation rules or custom validation in control's settings

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Rahul Behre‌,

Control validation is something we are working for Universal Forms (Responsive Forms v2) right now.

How would you want the validation to trigger? On blur of a control or on submit? Can you also give me a bit more detail on the use case?

Thanks,
Euan

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

How would you like to validate the control? What are the conditions? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi Euan Gamble‌,

I think you shouldn't focus on specific use cases.

if you build new designer you should make it very generic.

one might need to trigger  validations on a button click (like switching between tabs).

the other one might need it on a form control value change (onblur, onfocus-in/out, oninput, mouse events, ...  - like immediate validation once you hit/invoke a control anyhow). there might be a need to invoke validation on a control that doesn't fire such a events (eg. calculated value) or which's 'effective' DOM element(s) is(are) hidden  (people control, lookup...)

the other one might need it on every keystroke in a control (like password complexity validation)

as well, there are plenty of requests on the forum how to invoke a validation on a form or its part (tab) just before (within) submit action.

hopefully you consider all of these, especially if javascript (or any client side customization) is still on your 'blacklist' like with responsive forms.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Marian Hatala‌,

At the moment we are working on two types of validation events. On control change and on button click (submit button at the moment). These will be similar to the rules engine in Universal Forms where multiple conditions/controls can be added to trigger the validation.

We are also including two types of validation, an error message and also a warning message.

Cheers,

Euan

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm afraid without a JavaScript this will cause serious limitations to be used in real business scenarios...

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

naturally I'd like to jump into this discussion, but I was curious if there was a place where stuff like this could be discussed? Might be nice to have an on platform (that is - these forums) place to talk about projections / use-cases / feedback that isn't the User Voice site (which sometimes mysteriously doesn't work or will randomly delete things). 

Much like the sentiments that Marian has in regards to needing JavaScript, I'd love to port stuff over to the Responsive Forms (or the Universal Forms once finished), but can't see any possible way of achieving that outside of breaking the rules. 

On the other-hand, having given a lot of looks at the current backing code for Forms Classic, I can totally understand why y'all would wanna move to a cleaner codebase from the ground up, as there are a lot of places where things can go terribly wrong. 

Any who, don't wanna muck up OP's topic any more (:P), but yeah, I'd sure like to talk more about this stuff.