Installatation k2 Five

• 18 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi Mates,

We would like to install K2 Five in our devlopment server. I would like to know which is good approach 

1. Removing the K2 4.7 and then fresh installation of K2 Five

2. Upgrading K2 4.7 to K2 Five.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Badge +9

Both are sound options, so it depends on your requirements.

Badge +10

Beware of your existing Workflows.... 

If you have some workflows will not be able to package & deploy from K2 4.7 yo K2 Five and that is a very bad design and limitation from K2 on release a product where is absolutely necesary to upgrade in place, we all know has been a lot of folks reporting bunch of errors after inplace upgrade. and what would you do, you overwrite your binaries, the Database. pretty much you move forward there is not way back you reach the point of no return. unless of course you carefully backup your Virtual Machine Environment, Database etc etc etc.

So think about this if you like to keep your Workflows is mandatory to do inplace upgrade, overcome any issue that might raise from the ugprade and you will not be able to edit the workflow. new one has to be re-worked.

If you do K2 Five fresh install to keep bugs out, well my friend you are out of luck because you will not even package & deploy your views nothing will be able to restore. so pretty much is start everything from scratch. If you ask me pretty bad design and strategy in my opinion.

Good Luck !!!. we all are going to need it.

Badge +3

Hi Nik86

If you have existing processes and applications, simply do the upgrade.

I respectfully 100% disagree with K2CaveMan...

If you upgrade, you will still have the old K2 Design tools at your disposal to editmaintain any old K2 process. You will not need to "rework" anything and all your K2 4.7 forms and views can be edited in K2 Designer on K2 Five.

The only thing is that the support for K2 Studio will end at a point in the future. When that happens, you won't be able to log any more support tickets for the tool - but honestly, K2 Studio has been out since 2007 - I very much doubt anyone will find any more bugs with that.

So if your experience isn't simply "business and usual" after the upgrade, please reach out to your K2 Support team ASAP and the Business Development Manager responsible for your account, as there was a lot of work put in to make that experience as painless and easy as possible.

Happy K2-ing!

Badge +10

Louis Regardless if you agree or not, I will tell you exactly how it is....

If you do a fresh install of K2 Five. you will not be able to package & deploy from a legacy app from 4.6.11 or 4.7 PERIOD. there is more to it.

Yes they suggest as upgrade inplace as only source of workaround/solution path. will everything be ok. In a perfect world SURE, but we don not live in such world, if things could go wrong, be sure they will, more important be prepared to react.

Back to the Point I post an idea of have at least ... at least yes a partial View/Form package & deployment for those folks who DONT want to be force to inplace upgrade... and rather have a fresh binary install. 

https://ideas.k2.com/ideas/APIT-I-492

The idea will be at least since WF will need to be re-created in order to have the ability of modify with the new K2 Five engine and since the SMO's will be recreated at least we don't have to fool more with the slow designer tool, which doing some nice presentable forms consume some time.

So like I said is just ideas... if upgrade in place is your thing and everything seem to work fine, and are ready to take the risk of breading something go for. Otherwise prepare for some serious work in the migration task.