Write Attachment from List into Separate Library

Badge +7

Using Nintex 2013 On-Premise, is a Web Service really the only way to grab an attachment within a nintex form and then save it to a separate library? There must be a better way, especially since the web services are no longer recommended.

Am I missing something obvious?

thanks

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Dave, 

Have you seen this Nintex Workflow - Get List Item Attachment in Base64 Custom Action (Happy Thanksgiving) - Vadim Tabakman ?  

Thanks

Mike

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello Dave Georgopoulis‌ - 

Yes, you will need to leverage some web service to convert the attachment to base64 and then pass it over to the destination. 

We are currently looking at doing it the opposite way. Where we have regular filings that require specific attachments to be carried with the task. We leverage a site workflow to create the necessary items, and then upon creation, the workflow will get the needed documents, convert them to base64 and then add it as an attachment via the AddAttachment list method.

Bit of a pain, but once you have a method to convert it to base64, you can do anything with it at that point.

I made UDA out of our own in-house webservice.

Hope this helps!

Badge +7

Dear, 

Does the action "Copy to SharePoint" help you? It copy all the specific list item attachment to a destination you will specify in the settings.

Cheers... happy.png

Badge +7

This did work well for me. I didn't see it because I was trying to build this as a UDA and that action wasn't available there but if I don't use a UDA, this seems to meet my requirements!

thanks!

Badge +7

I am trying to use this action now and I keep getting this error. Any thoughts?

I am trying to copy the attachments from a list to a library within the same site. 

204193_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

Do you have permissions to the URL you are pointing the copy to? Do you have the wrong credentials specified in Override credentials area of the control?

Thanks

Mike

Badge +7

It is just copying from one list to a library within the same site, so I should not need override credentials, I do not think...? That being said, I have tried multiple different username and passwords in the override including my farm account and I am getting the same error with each. 

204241_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +7

Ok. So override credentials are empty in the action above? Also, is this action nested within an action set, and if so, do you have the button checked in the action set configuration to run as workflow owner? Finally, you are sure that you have the permissions to create new items in the destination library?

Just trying to check everything here...

Badge +7

currently there are credentials that are being pushed in there automatically. I am not sure why SharePoint is picking what is in there but I have tested this with different credentials. I am not 100% sure if I have tested it being blank.... 

This is the only action on the workflow. 

Yes I have permissions to everything on the farm, including the destination library. 

Badge +7

Do you mind taking a screenshot of what is in the override?

Badge +7

It keeps getting defaulted to this. I have no idea why because it is not even listed as a workflow constant. I just tested it and I am unable to blank the credential fields out. Upon save it pushed these credentials back in there until I type something else in. 

204270_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +7

Odd. I can't seem to reproduce the issue. Definitely strange behaviour.

This is what the Help says, but I am able to leave this blank and publish it that way.

If the destination library is on a remote SharePoint environment, credentials with access to upload files are required. For copying files to a SharePoint site in the same environment as the workflow, the workflow automatically uses permissions with global SharePoint access if no other credentials are specified. To copy the item as a specific account in the local farm, enter the user credentials.

When a file is copied to the local farm with the global system account (i.e. no alternative credentials are specified), workflows in the destination location will not start automatically.

This may sound irritating but have you tried to see if updating your Nintex Workflow to the latest version would help?