Question

Composing validation rules in another list and user input

• 14 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi

I am using Nintex 2019. I have a requirement for validation on a single line text field that I am hoping would be detailed in the pseudo code below. The code is activated

1. Load existing values from a column in another list.
  2. Split the values to identify the required text (ABC123 <User input>) - ABC123 is the required text.
  3. Split the values in the single text field, with the similar text entry as in (2). Match specifically the required text.
  4. If this exists / matches, display an error message.

The functionality I can think of that is required is to

• store values in a variable to be retrieved.
  • RegEx to match the required text.
  • Split the text input into components - similar to Regex
  • Debugging - console.log?

I was thinking of writing this, NOT using JavaScript but in validation syntax. I would appreciate any advice in this too. I will be implementing this in the ‘Save’ button in the “Causes validation - Expression’.

What I was thinking of is something like this -

List-Name “The List” (and this is where I am stuck)

Would appreciate any pointers.

lielar

2 replies

Badge +1

I have trouble finding how to docs in Nintex and around the webs for validation syntax can assist me in learning how to do the above. Would appreciate any recommendations…

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Can you provide some more concrete details like some test data, screenshots, or anything? It’s difficult to understand explicitly what you’d like to do based off of the above hypothetical.

• Give an example of what this list of data (or ‘existing values’ as you call them) looks like.

• Give an example of what we’re supposed to match in accordance with the User’s Input.

• Give an example of step 3 because it’s impossible to decipher without knowing what Step 2 should produce.

Everything else should fall into place once the above stuff is more clearly explained.

PS: What do you mean by “Validation Syntax”? If you’re using a Classic Form (or even a responsive form) the inline functions used from the Rule Builder / Formula Builder are all essentially JavaScript any ways that is just presented to you in a more simplistic way. You’d be using JavaScript no matter what.