Can I find what is not in another list using Nintex Forms function?

• 29 April 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a static list with all machines in a plant. And a dynamic list, that is the machines were inspected in the previous day. I am wondering if I could find what machines were not inspected in the previous day, by using Nintex Forms functions.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Thank you for your question.
Unfortunately there are no functions sophisticated enough in Nintex Forms out of the box to be able to achieve the solution you are looking for. This is very possible to do in a Nintex Workflow though.

I am used to adding controls to a Nintex Forms and binding it to the list column to store the value.

However, I just discovered, that I can add a "standard" control, e.g. a textinput control. And it will store the value the user puts in, even though that control is not bound to one of the list columns.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Where is that value stored and can I access that value from outside the list view form?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

Unbound controls are stored in a hidden column called "Form Data" in XML format.

Example: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><FormVariables><Version /><Age type="System.String">25</Age><Attachments type="System.String"></Attachments></FormVariables>

The hidden column will come up as a reference in Nintex Workflow after the first form is submitted on the list as this is when the column is created.

If you would like to see what is in the hidden column for an item you can create a Multi Lines of text column on your list configured as plain text and then use an update item action in a workflow to update the multi lines of text column with the contents of the form data column.
Config would look like this.

You can extract elements directly out of the Form Data column using a Query XML Action.

Hope this helps.