Legacy People picker control validation

Badge +8

Hi All,

I am using Legacy people picker control which I had to use as it allows the business to see all the users in the group and then select rather than just type and check if the user is available (as in the newer people picker control).

I am trying to do a validation to trigger exception if the people picker is empty, but I see that if the control is modified it looses its value. A little detail ..

Validation query

(!NWF$('#' + varAppSAssigned).val().trim().match(/./)) { alert('please enter .... '); return false; }

where varAppSAssigned is the legacy people control Javascript value configured in the control.

1] When the control is blank initially, the above exception does work and the message pops up.

2] If you just select the user and manually delete it, then the above script does not work that may be due to the fact that "varAppSAssigned" wasnt refreshed with the new value?

Has anyone noticed this, any pointers on how to use validation on Legacy people picker control?

Regards,

Shrini

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what event do you execute this validation on? I would say the event is not fired.

see some ideas for PPv1 validations

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/87515/client-side-people-picker-validation

https://jasonscript.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/javascript-and-working-with-the-sharepoint-2013-people-picker/

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

Thanks very much for your reply, I had this issue quite some time back and it looks like it is an issue with the legacy people picker control, after business approval I was able to change it to the newer version of the people picker and it does work properly there.

I was trying to use the validation in the validation rules for the form and not separately in the JS file.

Appreciate you taking time to answer this question.

Regards,

Shrini

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that's perfect.

can you mark the question answered?

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

I will mark the answer as helpful, but it doesn't answer the question as both the links provided gives you validation for SharePoint people picker and I was looking at why the Nintex rules dont work for Nintex People Picker control V1 while it does work perfectly on the latest version of the Nintex people picker control.

Regards,

Shrini

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I was looking at why the Nintex rules dont work for Nintex People Picker control V1

there is no such a control like 'Nintex people picker V1'

there is either nintex' people picker

or sharepoint's people picker labeled as well as 'Legacy people picker' or 'V1 people picker'.

I understood your question you ask for a solution for the latter one.

if you think, my post do not answer the original question you still can mark as correct answer your post with explanation that you came up with different solution using nintex' people picker

Badge +8

Hi Marian,

Thanks again for your reply. 

I did mean the old legacy control People picker v1 which you pointed out in the second option. This is still I believe a nintex control (which could be wrapping up a SharePoint people picker). Validation rules dont work in the same way as it would work in the newer version of the people picker. 

I cant mark my answer as correct as it also does not solve the problem as the business liked the older version (v1) of the people picker due to its ability to browse the group, but as the validation rules don't work correctly on them I had to change it to the newer version. Technically the problem is not solved as the good thing would be that validations rules "work" on the v1 control or the new people picker control has the feature of selecting people from the group like how it is possible to do in the v1 version. I am thinking its also raised as product wish list ?

Regards,

Shrini