How can anonymous user start workflow?

• 14 November 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hi

I have on-perm sharepoint with nintex workflow enterprise,in this server I have some Nintex workflow that must be start with anonymous,when these workflow have been started with anonymous workflow a lot of time stay in starting after that the workflow finished with error, but this workflow start and finished successfully with authenticated users, what should I do?

thanks

Naeemeh

5 replies

Badge +7

What does your workflow do ?

Do you have any error message ?

Badge +3

This workflow add users in active directory and create an item in customize list, the error is starting problem.

Badge +2

hello,

We also have such NWF,but there is no problem.

Manage workflow constants and add your administrator account and password...

2015-11-16_105623.png2015-11-16_105414.png

Badge +3

Hi,

Anonymous user can't run workflow. You can confirm this by enabling workflow link to display on item menu. With anonymous user, start workflow manually. If it's redirecting to login page or access denied that means anonymous user can't run workflow.

You can write event receiver to start workflow or schedule powershell script to run using scheduler

Hope this will help

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is true the workflows cannot be started by anonymous users, but I get around this in a couple of ways.

1. PowerShell script that update the items using an authenticated credential
  2. Site workflow that is scheduled to run on the list and as the workflow owner, and updates each item.
    1. The key here is to have a status column that is defaulted as Not Started, then update this status to Starting Workflow
    2. Doing so will start the other list workflow if it is set to start automatically on modify (not on creation)
    3. Then each time the Site workflow starts on the list, it only updates items that have the status of Not Started as to not make this occur over and over on already updated items.