How can I iterate through a number of collection variables and add them to a table in a Word document?

• 28 March 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I'm trying to iterate through the items in a repeating section on an order form and I'm having difficulties getting the data into a table in Word.  I don't have the document generation feature as we have SharePoint 2013 on premise.  So, I created a workflow that collects the data from a repeating section using collection variables that are run through a "For each" loop.  The workflow looks like this:

WorkflowImage.jpg

I've cut out the portion when the item numbers, sizes, and colours are converted from ID's to names which are then stored in variables.  At the end of the loop, the variables are placed into content controls in a Word template.  However, only the last item in the repeating section is stored (and I would imagine it's because the Word document is simply being overwritten with each iteration).  Is there a way around this problem?  Would storing the data in Excel work better (and if so, how)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi Angela,

I've never used the "Update Document" action but I created a Excel report via Nintex workflow before and it worked perfectly.

This is what I've done:

• Use a "Build string" action to create a csv line for your report (like: InfoOne;InfoTwo;InfoThree) and save it in a single line of text variable

• Use another "Build string" action to append the line to the complete report (in case you are running inside a loop)

• Use a "Web request" action to create the excel sheet

Regards

Philipp

Badge +5

Sorry for the late reply!  Thank you for your response - I will indeed give that a try!

Badge +11

‌, did any of these solutions help you? Can you mark the one that did correct?

Thanks!