One Workflow on multiple document libraries

• 8 January 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +7

Hi

I have a site that has multiple document libraries on it and when a file has been added or modified in any one of the document libraries the users would like to be emailed. I would like to create just one workflow that will watch all of these doc. libs and then send the mail. In the process wizard I am asked to enter the site and the individual doc. lib. the workflow for the individual doc. libs would be quick and easy to create but it would be easier from an administrative point to just have one workflow.

Can someone let me know a) if this possible and b) how to do it with out coding.

9 replies

Badge +9

Hi there

Is this site a SharePoint site? If so, you should be able to create forms for each of the lists that will be used to add a document to the list which will then set off the workflow.

Ian

Badge +9

Why don't you just use SharePoint alerts?  Why does it have to be a workflow?

Badge +9

I am curious to know about this requirements too. We need one workflow to kick-off from different document libraries, if possible so that workflow can handle the approval routing than just sending alerts.  Creating a form and submiting to kick-off the workflow is not feasible as every documents hits the doc. library should be able to kick-off the workflow. Thanks.

Badge +7

Hi

an Alert is not feasible for me also in my SharePoint site. I need the format of the email, but dont want to create multiple workflows that do the same thing.

Badge +9

Then perhaps you should consider a reusable SharePoint workflow, as k2 does not advise their engine/framework be used for short-lived system-to-system type workflows.

Badge +7

so what you are telling me that it is not possible... in a round about way. Correct?

Badge +9

No...  Anything is possible, I was just trying to save you the grief.

A few things come to my mind to try but they may be a waste of your time.  The safest bet would be to build a custom solution to trigger the k2 workflow, either from API or web service.  Basically your solution will check the document libraries and start the workflow when the specified event is triggered.  Here's the K2 developer reference: http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/DevRef/current/default.htm

Badge +9

Oh sorry, I just realised your original post said without code.

Then I have no solution for you.  I'm not usually one to give up so easily though, I'd do some creative thinking and try to come up with some alternative.  But I don't want to waste your time.  Perhaps look at making workflows for each individual library, and use IPC events to start a more generic workflow.

Badge +9

HI Victoria,

I liked your IPC approach, which I believe is the best solution. Create workflows for each Document Library and call same IPC or Child Process WF (generic) for routing approval.