K2 Worklist Naming Best Practice

Badge +9

Hi Guys,

Its hard to maintain the workflow from the user perspective of we do not uniquely identify the processinstance. Please refer to the workflist item and share your experience or best practice on how do we name Activity, Folio that shows processinstance for different activities to track the workflow progress as well.

Thanks.

16081iE33726C1B4FA2444.jpg

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hello,

I believe that you are looking for the Set Folio Wizard:

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2blackpearl/UserGuide/current/webframe.html#PD17.html

With this wizard you can use these before it reaches the client event and have the folio update to whatever activity it is about to head into. 

Otherwise I would start adding in an ID to the Folio name, probably on the start option in the workflow as seen below:

13651i941A93FE16B51E95.png

You can use the Serial Number, Smartobject ID, Sharepoint list ID, etc. That way the worklist item should appear as follows:

Activity Name                       Folio                                Task Start Date                  Workflow Name

HKMU-Setup                  HKMY Workflow (23)                 11:53 am                      HKMY_K2Project

Utilizing the Set folio and initial folio in the workflow settings should allow you to more accurately help your users determine the correct worklist item to choose.

Hope that helps!

Evan

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

You need to probably better identify what is meant or required on a per process basis for the user to be able to maintain their worklist.  Most of these conversations are held within the context of the requirements gathering process as each solution will be a bit different. 

In training, I always used the simile that a Folio is to a Worklist as a Subject Line is to an email. You give the user enough to make sense, but don't write a book. Not to mention that you are limited on how much information that you can put in the field.  (1024 characters to be exact)

Ultimately, the information you provide in the folio needs to be meaningful to the user in the context of that process. That is the challenge of general standards is that it isn't always meaningful to all users all of the time for all processes. The best people to speak with regarding what information needs to be placed in the folio would be the users of your solution.

As for overall naming approaches, It is a good idea of name Activities as statements as they are generally (but not always) representative of milestones in the workflow and I always name events starting with a verb as the events are the executing code that is doing work. Client events are usually called "Review Something". You could change the setup of the worklist to expose the name of the event instead of the activity or I think you can add the event column as that would provide more context and the verb naming convention would be a call to action for the user.

Good conversation to have. This is a topic that comes up often and everyone implements an approach that is a little different than someone else. It always boils down to doing what works best for your institution. For a quick start, there is a KB that speaks to naming conventions for K2 artifacts. It is more of a guideline as a place to begin the conversation and food for thought. http://help.k2.com/k2ls-qrs023.aspx

S.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear ,

This is a simple and important topic to discuss , giving a convinient name is important .

to me , my most concern was foolio , and what i use for foolio is the task/request ID followed by process name or project name .

lets say if i have a process for Vacations , and inside form rules i sure create some records in data base , and return an ID , the main ID of the request ,

then i send it to foolio like this "ID_Vacations" .

and for the activity name , i give it a name after the role of the activity destination , "Supervisor/manager...etc".

Hope it helps and glad to hear the suggestions u all gave .

Regards.

Badge +9

Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions.

My workflow starts when a document is added into the SharePoint Library 2013. So I have Sharepoint 2013 integration in K2 to do this (shown below)

Is it possible to have Folio Name something like HKMY Workflow-(ProcessInstanceID) where processInstance ID can be pulled from the workflow context browser. But my understanding is that ProcessInstanceId is not yet created to assign this otherwise I could have dragged and dropped it. Its not allowing me to do so. Is there a way we can assign the folio with processinstance id later in the Activity level Task.

Thanks.

15319i6E63E1753E3DAC05.jpg