Start workflow with create list item action

Badge +3

Hi,

I have a workflow with a recurrence so at the end of my workflow I want to create a new item using 'Create List Item' and have the workflow initiate for that new item. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jesse

10 replies

Badge +7

Hello Jesse,

Is it a List workflow? If so you can make the workflow start option as every new item start.

Your workflow is creating new items and on every new item the workflow will trigger. But looks like it is not something your requirement. Can you explain us in detail.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Jesse,

Yep - this is possible.  Just have your workflow set to Start when items are created.

Capture.JPG

If you're creating a new item in the same list be careful you don't create some kind of infinite loop! wink.png

Badge +7

Yeah if the requirement is with in the same list, it will become an infinite, it can be controlled if Safe looping is enabled. But this is an abrupt end of our workflow after 5 to 6 repetitions!

Badge +11

And be aware that items created by a "system account" won't trigger any workflows! So make sure your workflow acts accordingly.

Badge +7

Hi,

Another option would be to have the settings as per the screenshot below:

170882_pastedImage_0.png

Then in your workflow that creates the new item you can use a web service action to call the workflow.asmx StartWorkflowOnListItem method, see below. This way you have total control over when the workflow runs.

170883_pastedImage_1.png

Jan

Badge +3

Hi Jan,

Thanks, but I also need the workflow to run when new items are created manually. Also I have nintex workflow for office 365 so my call web service looks like this.. any ideas if this will still work?

171013_pastedImage_0.png

thanks

Badge +3

Bit more detail:

- I have nintex workflow for office 365

- the workflow is set to start when new items are created however this does not include items created by the system account as Phillip said. (I have tested this)

Badge +3

Resolved! I found an action called 'Start Workflow'

171137_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +3

Hello Jesse,

How do you create Start Workflow action for new create item? When I use start workflow it is start Workflow for current item.

Thanks.

Badge +3

Hey,

I have a create new item action (which outputs an ID e.g "new recurring item") and this is followed by a Start Workflow action which starts the workflow on that item with the ID "new recurring Item"

177581_pastedImage_0.png

(Create New Item)

177583_pastedImage_4.png

(Start Workflow)

177582_pastedImage_3.png