What are your best practices / tips'n'tricks?

• 20 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +10

Hi all,

there are a lot of things that you notice after you have worked with NINTEX for some time. Sometime it is joy, sometime it is pain.  grin.png

But certainly you will develope some kind of practices when working with NINTEX. I would like to see some of your tips'n'tricks here.

To start with I have the following best practice from myself concerning naming convention of variables within NINTEX Workflows

I often see something like varName1, varName2, etc. 
I like this naming scheme - indicating the data type - better: txtName1, numName2, pogName3, intName4, ynName5, etc.

It is only a tiny nugget of information, but it always helps me a lot!

Cheers

mai-kel

best practices‌ best practice‌ tips and tricks‌

2 replies

Badge +5

For the best practices, I always think about to create a follow up guideline or checklist before creating any Form and Workflow.

For Nintex Form, which Form approach are we going to use, Responsive one or Classic one and to list down all the capable features and non-capable features to differentiate between the two approaches. Therefore, it is easy to identify the requirements and potential issues for each approach.

For Nintex Workflow, my opinion is to identify which logical flow are we going to use, Sequential or Stage Machine. There is pros and cons for each one.

• Sequential will make the flow faster. However if the workflow stuck in some reason, it has to re-initiate from the beginning. This always big headache for the person who develop the workflow because sometime the workflow is stuck at the end after all the big bosses are approved. (Thousand apologies!!! grin.png)
  • Stage Machine is easier to control and can jump around from one step to another, but it will delay on jumping one process to another during the run time of workflow based on the timer service timing. (There is a way to reduce the timing of timer service). When we design the Stage Machine, we should consider to record the stage somewhere in the our list column, if in case the workflow is stuck or failed, we can re-initiate from the desire step but need extra work to save all the previous workflow history based on requirement of audit purpose or evidence. (E.g. who already approved in the workflow before the workflow is stuck or failed). If we do not think to record the stage, the flow will be the same logic as sequential. So we do not get the benefit of Stage Machine.

Also how we are going to utilize the workflow history and task list. Are we going to use each workflow for each task list and workflow history or using one task list and history for all the workflows. There is performance issue we have to think about with number of workflows and instances that will occur in the future. Another thing to consider to place all the workflows in one site collection or not. The advantage to place all the workflows in one site collection is centralization and the approver can delegate his/her tasks to another user easily during his/her vacation through Nintex Task Delegation feature.

I'd like to hear the opinions and best practices from others members as well. Appreciate for your contribution. Thanks. happy.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I wish this post had more replies! This is a great discussion point!