Create single notifications for owners of documents in a library when due for review

Badge +2

Hi I'm new to Nintex so apologies if this is something simple!

We have a document library with several document owners. These documents have differing dates on which they are due for review.

I would like to create a site workflow where I can notify the document owners the list of documents that are due for review in the upcoming month.

I can create a workflow where they get a seperate notification for each document but this means they are getting inundated with notifications! So if possible I'd like to summarize them.

I have managed to create a list of all of the documents that are due for review and can get the owners but how do I now group them by owner and send them their individual lists?

Thanks  

16 replies

Badge +8

If you don't currently, add a column to the library that identifies who is the owner. Then in your site workflow you use a query against the library looking for all documents that set to owner "Jim A", do for each and then in the for each loop grab the document URL or Title or whatever other information you want to display, and then add it to a multi-line variable. In the end a notification with the multi-line variable in the body. Screenshots below. I haven't fully tested this, but it should get you to at least 90% of the way.

2480i3B16AC35D0A9A022.png2481iCF8AACDA193FAFAF.png2482i59FB63F952CAE233.png2483iB81F0D207D9D51C2.png2484i1615C8C4865DF9E4.png

Badge +2

Thanks Nj,

Sorry maybe I didn't explain it very well. I think you're solution will help. But, I need the workflow to identify the owner too (it is a list column) then once its identified the list of documents they need to review that month then send each owner their list of documents. 

Thanks again. 

Badge +8

I'm not sure how what you replied with and what I showed above are different. You query all documents where column "owner"(or whatever you named it) is equal to whoever, and then loop through each one gathering whatever details about the document you want(whether just the title, or as well as the file size, created date, etc.) and then put them all together in a multi line and send a notification outside the loop at the end with those details.

Badge +2

@nj Thanks again for your reply. :) Sorry I'm not explaining myself very well!

I don't want just send the notification to one of the owners. I need to send a reminder to all of the owners where they have documents due for review and, if so, attach their list of documents due for review within the notification.

So I think your solution does help me build the notification part. I just need to do it for all owners and send seperate notifications to each one with their details.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. :)

Badge +8

Right, so what I've shown can show you how to iterate through all documents for a specific owner. Now what you can do is before doing this aspect, do a query for all the owners in the library. Do a collection operation to remove duplicates, then do a for each with the remaining owners collection.

So essentially, you would have three for each loops, one to gather the list of possible owners. Then you have one to iterate through each owner, querying for all that owners documents, then your third for each runs inside the second one to build the list of documents for that owner. Then when that's complete, it exits the third loop, finds the next owner, and repeats the document list building. 

If it's confusing reading it I could design it out in a workflow.

Badge +2

@nj  Hi Nj, thanks again for your help - I tried but must be doing something wrong as either I see no results or, I see the results but no owner!

If you have time to mock up an example I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks again

Badge +8

I can do that. Can you show me what you have so far(as well as the library you are looking into for the workflow) and I can maybe spot where we got mixed up?

Badge +2

@nj  I've attached my workflow (hopefully!).

Thanks again (apologies if I've completely missed the point!)

Badge +8

I began building a demo of it, and I realized I led you astray. You do not need the loop for the owners. A simple query against the list, for all items, grabbing only the Owner column and then putting it into a collection variable will give you all of your owners. So the issue of not returning any owners should be resolved from there. 

Also, if your owner column is a people column and you're able to collect the owners but not match documents to owners, try looking at @emha post here: https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/How-to-you-filter-results-within-a-Query-List-action-by-assigned/m-p/7351/highlight/true#M6204

Badge +2

@nj Hi nj, thanks again for all your help. I took the owners out of the loop and just put them in a collection. However, I must still be doing something wrong! :(

The workflow now identifies all the documents that are due but, it's sending a seperate notification to each owner. I'm missing a step but I don;t know where :( I think it might be becuase the notification is in the loop, but when I take it out only one notification is sent.

My workflow looks like the attached.

Badge +8

Hmm, no, you're not doing anything wrong. I guess I hadn't fully thought out the notification part inside the loop so I didn't really explain it.

We need to be able to do the notification IN the loop, or else it sends just one at the end like you experienced. But we can't have it run EVERY loop because then it sends one per document. How annoying!

So we need to only send the notifcation SOMETIMES. Maybe. Possibly. CONDITIONALLY! :manvery-happy:

I'm sure there's cleaner ways to do this, and plenty of people here could write it better, but this should work without issue. Add an additional variable just like your targetOwner(I'm calling it this, but you call it whatever you need), but let's call this one something like buildingOwner or ongoingOwner. Name isn't important as long as it makes sense to you. 

Throw a condition at the top of your loop. Tell it if buildingOwner is empty, set it to targetOwner(the single result of your for loop running against the collection of owners).

Now put a condition right above your build string. Compare the values of buildingOwner and targetOwner. If they're different, send the notification; if not, build string.

Basically, what we're doing is at the end of every loop we're looking to make sure we're still operating on the same "owner". If we are, we skip through the condition, and we just keep on building that list of documents. If the owner changes, then we send the notification, we clear the build string(explanation below), then we do our build action.

One thing I didn't note previously, you have to make sure to clear the value of your build string variable, or else you'll send the last guy every single document as it just continues to build. Below is a screenshot that should get you working. 

2564i03F74CE21FE6C979.png

2565i7346FA530C3A8961.png

So in order, with the screenshot above: For each owner, we check to see if the buildingOwner is emptp and set it to currentOwner if so. We get all documents, log those to history(remove this later if you don't need it past the testing phase. It could eventually be a lot of extra text in the history list depending on number of documents down the road), check if we're on the same owner and if so we continue the build string. If not, we send the notification, wipe out the build details so it's ready for the next owner, and then put the first document detail into the build string. Repeat.

Badge +2

@nj Sorry - I've created the attached - I think I've followed your suggestions but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm hoping I've just missed a step or put a variable in the wrong place but I can't seem to find it!

2629iB207D0C742C5F148.jpg2630i9E7CBE7F8F70BC3D.jpg2631i98CCA893CF5BD2C1.jpg

Badge +2

After much trail and error I finally got it to work! It starts by getting all the owners and removing duplicates. Then get the ID's of the documents in the library due for review. The for each ID get the title, review date, URL and put them in collections. (tidy the data up a bit) Put the data into a string then build the table with the string. Finally send the notification to the users in the Owner collection :)

A copy of the final workflow is below;

4465i80FCADC9516DCC8B.jpg

4466i5D202940DE954977.jpg

4467iE224309502DE636E.jpg

Badge

I don't know how what you answered with and what I appeared above are changed. You question all records where coursework writing service segment "owner"(or whatever you named it) is equivalent to whoever, and after that circle through every one assembling whatever insights concerning the report you need. 

Badge +12
  1. Create a list workflow which will notify the document owner to review the document
  2. Now create a site workflow which will:
    1. Query your list and get IDs as collection
    2. Using for each action for IDs collected, schedule a workflow on each list item
    3. Try to use service account which has been stored as Nintex constant to run the web service

Badge +2

Thanks, I think this would create individual notification emails? But dont worry as I've managed to resolve the issue with assistance from @nj as above.

Thanks again