Not applicable

Automated rename document and upload to library

Hi,

I am new to Nintex workflow sharepoint 2010. I need to know how to do to following.

I have an invoice which is approved, once approved I want this invoice to have the same invoice number and in front the wording "Approved", and the new invoice to be uploaded onto Library folder which I have created for history/monitoring record.

For example, i have the invoice which number is 1XA and attached onto the List, once the approver reviews (workflow) the invoice and approves, then I want the workflow to rename the attachment invoice as "Approved 1XA" and this invoice to be uploaded automatically into the folder in the Library. I will appreciate your help and to clearly specify the steps to be used.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Automated rename document and upload to library

Hi,

I'm not an expert but I'll try to at least point you in the right direction.

I'm assuming that information from a list is the source of the information for the invoice.

A workflow on the list will create a document  in a document library. You will need to have the same columns as the list for data to be migrated and the document to open.

The invoice should be a template for the document library that its' stored in and have "quick parts" referencing information columns for the document. The document library should have columns for the "invoice number", Status i.e. "Approved, Not Approved etc..." Please note that IE 64 Bit is a bit of a pain so use  IE32 Bit and upload the document in docx and not doct. I have found a few problems with editing the template in dotx format.

In the template you need to insert quick parts for the columns i.e. Approved and the updated invoice number.

A workflow can then assign or generate an invoice number if the column for "Invoice Number" is "single line of text" based on a few References and a fixed number.

The invoice document can be copied to another library where another workflow can rename it and even convert it to pdf if you have the full verion of Nintex workflows.

Using the copy Item action will help you achieve a result similar to uploading.

I hope this has helped you a bit.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

For what it's worth I have spent some time trying to get a workflow to rename documents is a document library (which may not be exactly the same as what you're trying to do here) and had no luck.

In a doc. library there seem to be some issues with the "Name" field. There are multiple internal fields called "Name", and some of them are shown as type "computed". I have a feeling Nintex is trying to change one of these output-only fields and failing, but the nett result is the filename can't be changed.

I logged this as a bug with out internal IT team months ago, but i'm not sure it ever made it to Nintex as a bug report.

Not sure if the same issue applies to list attachments. Please let us know how you get on.

Regards: Colin

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Daniel - assuming that you know how to create a simple Nintex workflow. I have done a similar workflow in Nintex workflow 2010.

1) To rename the document

- create a Workflow variable (called newFilename) of type Single line.

- use the Set Variable action to set the newFilename to the desired value. I used "fn-FormatDate(Current Date, yyyy-MM-dd)_Name" to prefix my approved documents with the Current Date, where "Name", "Current Date" are standard workflow variables.

- use the "Update Item" to update the Current Item with Field = Name and value is newFilename.

P.S I was facing issues renaming the document and adding SUFFIX to the Name field though. Not sure what was the issue.

2) To move the document from root of the document library to inside the Folder I used the "Web Request" action. You should be able to find the HowTo documentation for the same.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

So you successfully changed the name of some documents in a library?  Interesting.

I had no luck at all getting that to work, and the error messages from Sharepoint were, as usual, either non-existent or very unhelpful (as in "operation failed" or similar).

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes Colin Evans, but not "some" but all documents in a document library . My requirement was that all approved documents should have the final name as "currentDate_documentname" and be moved to "Approved Documents" folder within the same library. I would recommend to try creating a new simple test workflow with steps I mentioned above and I think it should work. Attaching couple of screenshot. Hope this helps!

RenameFile01.jpg

RenameFile02.jpg

0 Kudos