Sync two lists of different sites

Badge +8

Hi 

I have a list of contacts that are used in a look up in two different list libraries. As they are on different sites I have had to have two copies of the list, one on each site. This is ok, until one is updated. Is there a way to sync them?

I have created a WF to update the item on the 2nd list if ti exists, but not sure how to map this for new items? Also how do you say delete the old entry on the 2nd list? Is it possible to do a duplicate search and remove the older item?

Many thanks

8 replies

Badge +7

Dear,

You need to add a hidden column in both lists like counter in order to sync them.

This column should have the "same unique value" for the "same items" in both lists.

On Adding in one list, no problem...You simply need to add the same item with its counter in the other one.

On Updating, you will search the item in another list with same counter value and then update it.

Regards,

Badge +9

Hi Michelle Goodman‌,

You can have your list 1 item id number in a new field of list 2, so that when ever you are updating an item in list 1 run a workflow to update item in list 2.

You will need two list workflows

1. On item creation in list 1 (to create an item in list 2) and

2. On item modify in list 1 (to update an item in list 2)

Thanks,

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what about to approach it so that you create a site workflow with customized start form which will work as 'Request for create/change/delete contact'?

so, start form would collect all the needed info for an action to perform and workflow would apply the action to both/all sites.

Badge +8

Hi  Lakshmi

Sounds good, but how can I get TP to check which one is required?

In my list the name column is the one used to identify the item. So 1st step would be to see if the name already exists in the list. How can I map this?

Badge +8

Ah worked it out now.:

1. On item creation in list 1 (to create an item in list 2) using  Create item in another site 

2. On item modify in list 1 (to update an item in list 2) using condition start up 

Badge +4

Hi. Did you ever figure out a good way to delete. It seems that it can't be done or no one is doing it. I figured out the update and adding new using vadim tabakman's solution for order and order list. It works for the most part. There has to be a relatively easy solution out there. My forms typically have about 10 repeating sections. The field names and amount of fields are always different per project. It would be nice if the delete could be triggered and passed to the child list. 

Even better the repeating sections connect directly to the child list and there is no need for a workflow. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm not sure what are your specifics, but in the context of my previous post you might provide a key value and select some 'Delete' choice/switch to delete item(s) from child list(s).

Badge +4

Thank you for the reply. 

I did add a field in the child list the specifies a delete action and created a site workflow. Still working out the bugs. I have several repeating sections it would be nice if the big red on the row would just delete it in real time.