I'm working on a document retention application

• 15 September 2016
  • 10 replies

Badge +3

I'm working on a document retention application where I need to create a list of documents older than a variable date and then sent the list along with the url to a reviewer (or list of reviewers) who can then review and decide to keep/retain or archive/delete them selectively. This is now being created as a site level workflow and will run on a daily basis where the variable date is changed automatically and the process repeats. I have the email working and am having trouble getting the list to show in user friendly lists. Filtering seems to be working ok.

If you need more explanation, I'll be happy to provide as needed.

Thanks,

Bill

10 replies

Badge +16

What is it currently displaying like? How have you configured your workflow to achieve this?

Badge +3

Cassy,

As an example, I have this list

I set dates in the query’s filter and run the site level workflow. The results that I get back are:

Note that the items selected are correct but not being displayed in list form. I used the Regular expression action to build the collection using the “;” at the pattern to split the items. First question – why isn’t the list shown – 3 items each on a separate line?

Thanks,

Bill

Applications

Badge +3

Maybe this view will help understand the “Split” problem I’m having. Should probably have sent this earlier.

Just want a single line for each item in the collection variable.

Thanks,

Bill

Applications

Badge +3

Sorry Cassy – you may not have been able to see the information I enclosed. I now have put the information in a Word document and hopefully you will be able to review the problem.

Any help of course would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Applications

Badge +16

Hi Bill

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm not able to spend any time on this for at least a week (unfortunately I am snowed under) but I will aim to get back to you on my return unless any of the blue ribbon group members can help? ‌ can you help or ask the others? 

Badge +11

Hi Bill Lohne,

Now that you have list of documents in a collection variable e.g. colldocNames, you can create html table with this.

Use For Each after query action. For Each collDocNames, store the name in string variable. varDocName

Use Build String. Create multiple line text variable: varAllDocs

The configuration of Build String would look like this:

{WorkflowVariable:varAlldocs}<tr><td>{WorkflowVariable:varDocName}</td></tr>

Outside the loop, create another Build String action. Configure it like this:

<html>body><table>{WorkflowVariable:varAllDocs}</table></body></html>

Save this to varAllDocs again.

Send an email notification after this to your self and in the body, insert the reference to varAllDocs.

You can then retreive any values from the list and apply formatting in the html part to add to the table. Hope this helps.

Here's one reference: Creating attractive emails with HTML tables in Nintex | Habanero Consulting Group 

Badge +3

Thank you – I’m working on this now. However, have you noticed that the “Split” operation does NOT work as expected? When I use the “;” as the split character, it is ignored. However, if I use the “Replace text” operation, the list is created as wanted – each item on a separate line. However, when I do that, I’m not able to store the result in a collection but only as a text string. I’m working on trying to work around this, but no luck so far..

Thanks,

Bill

Applications

Badge +3

As a result of the help by you and Kapil, everything is now working as expected. It appears that the “Split” operation works fine. Thanks!! Really appreciate your help – clears my thinking to get a fresh look at what I’m doing.

Have a fantastic day!!

Bill

Applications

Badge +11

, Glad it worked. Could you please mark the appropriate response as the correct answer to help other on the community.

Badge +3

Hopefully, I correctly marked everything! Again, thanks!!

Bill

Applications