Service Manager Does not Connect to new K2.NET 2003 Server

Badge +2
I'm building a standalone demo box to showcase a solution we've written using K2.NET 2003 SP1, ADAM, some web services and web applications.

The new virtual server is a Windows 2003 Server running as a PDC.
IIS, SQL2000 SP3 and ADAM are installed currently.

The K2 server is running as a service domain account. This account has DBO rights to both K2 databases and is configured as a local administrator. Notably this is a bad idea since it's a PDC but this is a luggable demo machine.

The problem is I can only connect to the K2 server when the server is registered to use anonymous access in the K2.net 2003 service manager. If I register the server to use Windows authentication, I keep getting an "Authentication with server failed" message.

This is even before integration with the AdamUM component.
Aside: I need the "Hotfix 2" for K2.net 2003 SP1 and I can't seem to find it on the portal. Any ideas where I can find this?

Any solutions to my problem?

5 replies

Badge +11
Have a look at your Eventlogs - is it trying to authenticate through NTLM or Kerberos - before ADAM of course?

Are you refering to: "K2.net® 2003 Hotfix for SharePoint Portal Server SP2"
If so, I'm not sure where you've looked, I found it on the normal Product Download page:
http://portal.k2workflow.com/downloads/product.aspx

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +2
The K2.NET 2003 SP1 "Hotfix 2" is supposed to be a prerequisite to using the AdamUM component we were given. The previous downloads page has a "Hotfix 1" but there is no "Hotfix 2" to be found. The only other mention of Hotfix 2 is in other forum topics related to ADAM integration.

The event log is not recording failed login attempts although with anonymous access, it shows that the "Administrator" user is successfully connecting.

K2 is not producing any log file.
Badge +8
The 'HotFix' you are referring to is not publicly available. Currently, there is a version of ADAMUM (assembly version 3.5140.1.0) available for K2.net SP2a. (I will email this to you this evening).

I would recommend that you upgrade your demo machine to SP2a, get it running using the standard ADUM and then only attempt to enable the ADAMUM. Note also that the ADAM user manager component does not provide for authentication - it still relies on AD to authenticate the user. Generally, the ADAM user manager is used when the required structure for workflow cannot be implemented in the existing AD environment for some reason - an ADAM instance can then be used to represent the functional structure and/or properties such as manager or email that may be required by workflow.

I have made some changes to the ADAM user manager for SP2a which allows it to cross-reference information from AD, so on the whole it's a much more powerful component that the one built for SP1.
Badge +2
My first priority is to get our solution which was built using K2.net 2003 SP1 working with ADAM.

Following this, we will be looking at getting our solution upgraded to SP2a if possible.

For now, I need the Hotfix 2 and some assistance to get the authentication working on SP1.

I understand that authentication is provided (ultimately) by AD via ADAM. The use of ADAM is to store organisational structure information. We were also not permitted to alter AD at the time of development.

Could you please email me the Hotfix 2.

Thanks.
Badge +2
NeilM (via email) had the following comment regarding K2.net installed on a domain controller. It fixed my problem so I'm posting the answer here:

Thanks for the help Neil!

-----[snip]-----
No issues with running K2 on a DC the only problem I ve come across is if you are running SP1 for Win 2003, you may need to do the disable loopback check registry hack to get credentials passed properly.

All our VPC s are K2 on a DC, so I know it does work.

Howto do the loopback entry:

Follow these steps to disable the loopback check:
1. Click Start | Run and then type regedit , and click OK .
2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlLsa
3. Right-click Lsa , point to New, and then click the DWORD value.
4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck , and then press Enter .
5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck , and then click Modify .
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK .
7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.