Smartform fields empty

Badge +5
I submitted a test process and tried to approve it. I then get a link with the sn in my email, brought the page up and the fields are empty. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I verified the planserver is correct in the web.config.

10 replies

Badge +9
Make sure that the page referenced in the client event is of page type "Client Page" (as opposed to Plan Page) on the Smart Form properties within VS.NET.
Badge +5
Thanks Bob! I think that did it. My initial page is set to Plan Page (lab on Training Module 3)while the other activity pages are Client Page. I suppose I'm confused with these settings. What does it do?
Badge +9
A 'Plan' Page is a page that is used to start a new process instance.

A 'Client' Page is a page that is used to display an assigned task/client event within an existing process instance.

There are subtle differences in how the underlying K2ROM code is called between a Plan/Client page because it needs to know if it must create and then start a new process instance, or retrieve existing data field values for a task that has been assigned to someone within a process instance.

Please note, that the K2Button control also has a 'Type' field that correspond to the Plan Page / Client Page setting of the document. Be sure to set the button appropriately for the type of page you are on.
Badge +5
That's a perfect segway in the next question I was going to ask about the k2button control.

FinishButton
UpdateButton
PlanButton

I couldn't find any documentation on this.
Badge +9
1. FinishButton - used only on a CLIENT Page. It saves the fields to K2 and tells K2 that the user is done with the task and processing should resume on the server. This is analagous to the 'OK' button in a Windows dialog, where the settings are saved and the dialog is closed.

2. UpdateButton - used only on a CLIENT Page. It saves the fields to K2. That's it. The task/worklist item is not completed/finished. It will still appear in the user's worklist. This is analagous to 'Apply' in a Windows dialog, where the settings are saved, but the dialog remains opened.

3. PlanButton - used on only a PLAN page. It instructs K2 to create a new process instance with the data on the form.
Badge +5
Many Thanks Bob. Just curious - where did you get that information from? is it in the docs and I just missed it?
Badge +9
I'm glad you found it useful.

My description doesn't come from any specific document/help file. However there is some descriptions about these SmartForms topics in the Tutorials help file ("Program FilesK2.net 2003HelpK2.net 2003 Tutorials.chm"). This file also contains many How-to examples that apply to many situations throughout K2 development.

One thing to keep in mind with SmartForms is that they simply provide an easy to use, little-to-no-programing experience, front end for the K2ROM object model. As such, you can always look at the K2ROM object documentation to answer some high level functionality questions.

Also, if you have access to the student and instructor manuals from the K2.net Developer Training DVD, they can be a useful cross reference.
Badge +5
I think I'm almost there - after I submit my process I can then do the approve but on the approve screen it should disable and send out an email to move on to the next activity. However it seems like it's stuck on the approve screen and I don't get a notification to move on to the next activity. My line rules are there and in the approve screen I have the K2button set to UpdatePlan (The last activity after the approve has the finishplan). Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Badge +9
You need a Finish Button for EVERY activity.

As per above, Update only will save the data. It will not complete the task. Finish completes the task, NOT the process.
Badge +5
Once again you got me. Thanks!