Prompting for constants when publishing

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I have some actions in a workflow which have to be 'set' before I'm able to publish.  This is actually a workfow that depoly as part of a powershell site creation and it fails to publish, though I can add it to the site. It's the Request Review actions that are preventing it from publishing. We are using a workflow variable to set th eldap_user you see in the reviewers textarea. The Pay Control is a value that comes in with the workflow data. Nthing is being done in the item permissions.

My question is why would I have to open the workflow, click configure on the action, save the action in order for th eyellow warning to go away? I don't make any changes when I click configure. I just save it. This makes for a very time consuming process and it seems like it shouldn't have to be this way..like maybe we're missing something in how these are set up? I need to be able to publish these workflows using powershell if at all possible.

Request Review.png

Thank you!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I should add that in addition to workflow constants the Task ContentType for the Request Review loses its value and has to be reset. It will publish ok but when executing it becaomes an error. This is something that I would think would be exported with a workflow and would remain in the xml.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

So I've got al ittle more on this. Apparently when you publish a workflow that uses a custom task list that task list's contenttype id changes for each site colection, even though its created from the same schema in all site collections. I get it. and that answers why these values are always empty and require resetting.

So now the challenge is editing the NWF file using powershell to update the content type of these actions prior to adding the workflows to the new site. the FindWorkflows action in nwadmin only works with published workflows. Is it possible to just do a replace with the new contenttypeid?