Nintex WF 2010 email notification needs link to edit item

Badge +3

I have a requirement to send a link in an email notification that goes straight to the 'edit' view of that list item.  The list has a customised InfoPath form - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

10 replies

Badge +11

Hi Claire Hodgson ,

Instead of using the Item URL, you will have to create the URL in the notification.

In the Notification action, select Insert Link from the toolbar, then enter the URL to your form's edit view:

http://<Site>/<Lists>/Item/Editifs.aspx?ID={ItemProperty:ID}

Badge +3

Hi Kapil,

I have tried this but I keep getting an Http 404 error - the url is http://<site collection>/<site name>/<sub-site>/<list name>/

Item/Editifs.aspx?ID={ItemProperty:ID}

I have tried it without the site collection name but to no avail?

Badge +11

Do you have content types defined for this list? Then you may have to specify the ContentType in the URL as well.

Go to the item, right click on title and open in new tab. Change Displayifs.aspx to Editifs.aspx and see if that works. If yes, then copy this URL and paste in the email notification link. Just change ID to Item property-ID.

Badge +3

Hi Kapil,

thank you so very much, this works fine - hours of hair pulling now solved.

Thanks

Claire

Badge +3

Hi Kapil,

I'm revisiting this old post as I have run into problems trying to use this in a Site Workflow.   I have followed the instructions but it still takes me to a blank edit form.  Is it a different code to use within Site Workflows?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Claire

Badge +11

Hi Claire,

In the site workflow, how are you getting the ID of the item for edit form? There are no item properties for site workflow because it is not running on the current item in the list. Are you doing lookup to get the ID or querying the list?

This may be the reason why you cannot get the edit page. Usually site workflows are used to carry out actions on large chunk of data or a list as a whole. Let us know what your requirement is for the site workflow.

Badge +3

Hi Kapil,

Many thanks for your response, the workflow for daily reminder to be sent to Manager who haven’t completed their part of an InfoPath form. The details are:

Query list to get the list item id for each item, stored in workflow variable ListItemID,

For each loop

Collection Operation x 2 for username and line manager

Email reminder to line manager

Update item

Thanks

Badge +11

Great.

So the Email reminder to the line manager contains the link to the item.

I'm assuming you are doing For Each on the ID collection (ListItemID) retrieved from the Query list action. So your link would be:

http://<site collection>/<site name>/<sub-site>/<list name>/Item/Editifs.aspx?ID={ID Variable in ForEach loop}&ContenType=......

For each ID in the collection, you create a single text variable for the ID and reference that variable in the link.

Badge +3

I’ll give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Badge +3

Hi Kapil,

Thank you very much, this has worked.

Claire