Assigning a variable to a Flexi Task workflow

• 22 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

Does anyone have or can point me in the direction of where to find step by step instructions on how to use a variable to assign a flexi task ?

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - Do you have a little more information you can provide on this one?  What sort of variable are you needing in your Flexi-Task?

Regards, 

-Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Whenever I used a variable and I found an action wasn't work as expected, I would do the following.

1. Use a Set a Variable action and type in your email address into it.

2. Use that variable in the Assign a Flexi Task action and see if that works.

If it does, then whatever was in your variable before (when it wasn't working), it isn't being understood by the Flexi Task action.  So prior to the Flexi Task action, add a Log to the History List action and insert the variable into there. Publish and run your workflow, then check the workflow history.

This should give you an idea of what is in the variable, and hopefully help you understand why it isn't working.

The other thing I like to do in the Log action, is to put an asterisk before and after the variable.  That way, when it logs it to the history, you can see if there are and leading or trailing space characters, that could be breaking this workflow.

Badge +3

Thank you all for your recommendations. I am now seeing like I saw earlier this error 
Error in task. The user to assign the task to has resolved as blank text.

Badge +3

I am still learning and trying to understanding variables and how to use them. So please correct my understanding of how to use variables if something shown is not correct or not explained clearly. Any help is welcome. Sorry for be long with my request for help. Thank you @Sam for your continued support.

What I am trying to accomplish is the following: (Upload a document for review and allow it to be sent to one or 10 people by the person continuing to add a next reviewer or selecting final).

Document library

1. Upload file to library (Workflow doesn't start yet) this works

2. Once the file is uploaded and the "NextReviewer" field is populated and status is changed to "In review" the workflow starts

3. When the "Nextreviewer" received the Nintex form, they concur or no concur or final approval

4. if they concur they can send to the "Nextreviewer" (Should this field on the form be the varNextReviewer or the regular "Nextreviewer"

Variables

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - can you share a screenshot of your list form, by chance?

I'm also trying to see where the user information gets set in the variable, as from your workflow screenshot, I'm not seeing where it's getting populated.  I see where you are creating it in the Workflow Settings section - but not where it's getting its info from within the workflow.  Is this the same workflow we were discussing in your other thread?

-Sam

Badge +3

Hi Sam, right now this workflow is really not working. Is there a way we can chat, I changed the whole attempt at this point.

I will add a new chat

I simply want to 

create a document library for uploading a documents

The user receives an email telling them a task was assigned to them

the user concurs

the next user concurs and so forth until all have provided input.

The problem is the behaviors which seems to have the workflow resolve to "complete"

So far it seems the only was to not have the workflow instancely go to "complete" I am using the state machines. I thought this task would be cut and dry but I was proven wrong, I am at this point so confused. 

I am pleading for any further help to finish this project. Once again @Nintex_Sam @Sam thank you.

Question how can someone send a direct question to a person?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - doing some research on this side of things.  I want to make sure you have what you need to be successful!

Appreciate the patience - 

-Sam

Badge +3

Thank you @Nintex_Sam