Process Instances stopped and will not start again

• 2 April 2009
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

We have a strange situation with ONE of our K2.Net solution.  All new process instances stay in the "running" state at the "start" activity.  Furthermore, for instances that have been started before and are currently active, if we do complete an activity, again the instance stays in the running state and nothing happens in K2.

This happens for all instances of a particular ProcID... 

I have tried exporting a new version of the same code.  Those instances running the new version are working fine.  We just cannot restart any of the old process.

This is really problematic as we have numerous instances running at the moment.

Trying to do "goto activity" does absolutely nothing.  It looks like K2 is getting stuck while working on one instance and do not proceed with the others for that one ProcID...  Cna it be the case and is there a way to find the exact point that is causing K2 to stop processing. 

Note:  We have many other processes on that K2 server and they are all working fine.

3 replies

Badge +9
What version of K2.net 2003 are you running?  If it is SP4, have you enabled logging?  If so does there appear to be any odd messages in the log when you are experiencing this?
Badge +1

It is actually SP2...  This is an old "validated" environment and it is unfortunately pretty hard to get any updates installed on it.  No errors either in the k2 tables nor the Win2k3 event logs

I have ran many more checks and it seems that some an unknown reason, whenever we start a process inst or move one (through regualr task completion or goto activity) the only proc that are executed from a sql server point of view (ran profiler) are the kprocinstLoad and kprocinstsave...  that it stops...  it doesnt event save an entry to the log...  the only thing that gets modified is the version of the k2..procinst table..

As metioned, I have exported a new version of the same code and for this version everything works fine (there are about 70-80 other calls to SP after the two that are called by mu faulty version.

I could send you the difference between the two instances as sql profiler logs if you want... in a private discussion as this contains sensitive information.

Thank you for your reply

Badge +9
I'd highly recommend opening a support ticket on this, if you haven't done so already.  Trying to diagnose this over a forum will be tricky and most likely rather time consuming as this is not a common situation.