transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server(provider:TCP Provider, error: 0-The semaphore timeout period has expired)

• 10 May 2012
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

We have an application server with the following spec’s:

• Windows 2008 R2 operating system.
  • All prerequisites are configures successfully and correctly: Windows roles, MSDTC and connection to SQL DB server.
  • MS Reporting Services 2008 R2 are installed and configured successfully, and all reports are deployed and render with no problems.

The application server connects to SQL Server 2008 R2 DB on different server - there are no firewalls between the 2 servers , and using UDL file, the connection is always successful using windows authentication or SQL authentication on SQL Server.

When we install “K2 blackpearl 4.5 (4.10060.1.0) with Update KB001040”, the setup completes successfully but the following exception appears when we open work list, when K2 setup manager is opened for reconfiguration and when rendering any report on the report manager: “A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)” although all DB’s are created successfully during the installation for K2. Also all other features at K2 (any feature at Management Console) and Report Manager (deployment of reports, management of data sources, and folder/report settings) works perfectly.

When we remove K2 components from the server the reporting services works successfully again, without any reconfiguration.

We tried to move the server to new environment to check if there is a problem with the server itself, all installation and configuration are completed with no problems and the error message disappeared.

We did check all of below points:

• MSDTC configuration.
  • All ports are open between the 2 servers.
  • SQL connection is always successful between the 2 servers.
  • We have a third server with MOSS 2007 installed and it works perfectly with problems in connection to DB.
  • All users used for windows services and SQL windows connection are active and configured correctly.

• Have SQL login with dbcreator and SecurityAdmin roles.
    • Are added as Administrators on Application server.

• We have tries Windows authentication and SQL authentication and they all gave the same problem.
  • We have used a newer version of K2 installation files “K2 blackpearl 4.5 (4.10060.1.0) with KB001320” and it failed at the last steps of installation with the same problem.

Please help on this.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Ok so what is failing here? The last part of the installation or the actual SSRS reports?

When you installed did you install the K2 Reporting components as well? If so does everything keep working when you don’t install the reporting bits? What version of K2 are you running and was it an upgrade? If so from what KB? Also can you attach the installation logs to the thread? (C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlSetupLog)

HTH

Vernon

Badge +1

To answer your questions:

• the installation file completes successfully, but when I open the worklist it gives the exception.
  • the exception appears in both cases if I connect to reporting services or not.
  • the version is "K2 blackpearl 4.5 (4.10060.1.0) with Update KB001040", the same installation files are used on different environment and it worked fine. I suppose to complete the setup with upgrade "K2 blackpearl 4.5 Update (4.10060.1.1290)", but I don't continue because of the exception, i tried to continue once, but the same exception kept arising.
  • I attached the installation log, you can find the following part with the exception:

"950","2012-05-03 10:36:44","Error","15","15002","ERROR","SourceCode.Database.Configuration.ConfigureDBs","15002 SqlException.Number != -2, so not handling it as a timeout. SqlException.Number = 121. Exception: A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)","anonymous","0.0.0.0","SERVER_APP:C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlSetup","950","699b201c73ad4df1bbecf59211a442e1",""

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

This is a script error, can you zip and attach the entire Log folder (C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlSetupLog).

Vernon

Badge +1

Sorry for being late in response, but server was at IT for checkup and then transferred to environment today. The same problem still exists, and I attached the log folder. I hope it helps in finding the problem, since it has been going for more than 1 week.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

This looks like force closing of connections. Think you might want to get your DBA involved. See the script errors in the log folder. Have you logged a K2 Support ticket, this should also give you much faster results than posting to K2underground forums.

HTH

Vernon