Error in Sharepoint 2010 when using Sharepoint List columns in workflow

Badge +1

I get the following error when creating workflows with Email action utilizing Sharepoint list columns in the Subject or Body of the email.

Send E-mail Event Message: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.; ServiceName: SharePointMetaDataService; ServiceGuid: f2545285-bb12-47c2-84dd-c7cf619b54cd; InnerExceptionMessage: ;

If do not use Sharepoint list columns then do not get the error.

4 replies

Badge +8

401 errors typically mean that the user making the call does not have access to the resource its attempting to use. If you are using impersonation or using the K2 Service Account for authentication in your Service Instance, make sure that the K2 Service account has sufficient permissions on the list. If you are using a hardcoded user, do the same for that account.

Badge +1

Where do I need to check on the permissions?

Is this at SharePoint database, K2 database?  SharePoint list that the workflow is running against? etc...?

I wish the error gave more detail.  It gives ServiceGuid: f2545285-bb12-47c2-84dd-c7cf619b54cd, but what is that?

Send E-mail Event Message: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.; ServiceName: SharePointMetaDataService; ServiceGuid: f2545285-bb12-47c2-84dd-c7cf619b54cd; InnerExceptionMessage: ; 5/31/2013 2:20:20 PM

Btw, this error occurs when running the SmartObjects - Services - Tester:

SmartObject Explorer/All SmartObjects/SharePoint Metadata.

Thanks.

Badge +8

Since the error originates from SharePoint when you attempt to read data, you need to check permissions on the SharePoint list/library. Easiest way to do tis is to log on as the relevant account using the "Sign in as a different user" option and browse to the list or library.

Badge +4

And even check whether the logged in account has the permission to run the service also