Flexi Task Delegate - \You need edit rights to the task item to respond\"

• 10 March 2015
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

I have a state machine workflow which contains a 'flexi task' that allows delegation.  However, I find that when the task is delegated the delegate has not been assigned the correct permissions in order to complete the task.

Anyone know a solution for this?

9 replies

Badge +9

Hi Barry,

Do you mean that he cannot edit the Task or cannot access the related item ?

The default permissions for the Workflow Task list should be Contribute. Is it the case?

If you do not want to give Contribute, then in your workflow, you need to change the permissions for the task item.

Hope this helps,

Christophe

Badge +4

The list needs to be protected from users randomly editing items until the approval workflow completes.

The flow is as follows:

1. Item created and workflow fires.
  2. List item is set to read only for all users.
  3. Flexi task is assigned to a 'person a', 'person a' is granted contribute as part of flexi task action.
  4. 'person a' delegates the task to 'person b'.
  5. 'person b' does not seem to have contribute, process cannot be completed.

The flexi task can essentially be delegated to anyone within the company so permissions need to be set to contribute after delegation is selected.

Flexi task settings are as follows:

57235_pastedImage_3.png

57236_pastedImage_4.png

Any ideas?

Badge +11

Hi Barry,

By all means you can protect the list where the items are created and make it read only for everyone. The task created by Nintex workflow are automatically assigned to the owner. No one else can edit it. So even if you give contribute permissions to all for the task list, only the person whom the task has been assigned to (or delegated to) will be able to complete it. People with Contribute privilege cannot delegate a task if you uncheck the Allow Delegate option.

Said that, seems like delegation does not carry over the change in the permissions as the task when it is first assigned. Hope it helps.

Badge +4

So to be clear. 

Permissions will be assigned correctly for the flexi task, but permissions for delegates will not?

Anyone got ideas for a workaround?

Thanks,

Barry.

Badge +9

Hi Kapil,

About "So even if you give contribute permissions to all for the task list, only the person whom the task has been assigned to (or delegated to) will be able to complete it"

In SharePoint, be default setting for Contribute Permission level is described as "Can view, add, update, and delete list items and documents."

To make sure, I had a go and my test user with 'Contribute' permission is allowed to Edit and Complete a Workflow Task.

If I did not understood what you meaned, just tell me as it is the case I can explain to Barry what to do.

Best regards,

Christophe

Badge +4

So is this a bug?  From my viewpoint I would expect that when a flexi task is delegated the delegate should receive the flexi task assigned permissions.

The only workaround I can come up with is a secondary workflow on the 'Workflow Tasks' list which will monitor and provide the expected permissions.

Thanks for the responses.

Badge +9

Hi Barry,

What I have done was give Contribute access to everyone in my Workflow Task.

In my case, I am not using Nintex Form in this list and I have added Javascript code to hide the Save buttons if the user is not the AssignedTo person.

In your case, surely you can do the same in your Nintex Form with rule.

Hope this helps,

Christophe

Badge +11

Hi christophe,

I've been using InfoPath forms for my workflow tasks. When the form is edited with InfoPath, it creates a NWContext data connection.

The Complete Task button is assigned a rule automatically to it:

AllowedToCompleteForm - Not equal to - TRUE > Hide this control.

This prevents people, who are not the "Assigned To", from completing the form. Hope it explains my point of view.

Badge +4

Hi Christophe,

Firstly I'd like to confirm that delegation doesn't work as one would assume, and that it's not a checkbox I've missed that needs ticked!  If that's not the case I'd look at other tried and tested methods, assuming someone has run into this before.

Yes I can use the another workflow or CSOM to workaround and introduce this functionality.  However, this needs to be the option of last resort.  Due to the sensitive nature of information we are dealing with I would likely steer clear of handling permissions at the client side and instead utilise another workflow to do this work for us.

Thanks again,

Barry.